anyone try those shake flashlights?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

longshot

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 16, 2006
Newfoundland, Canada
i was looking at those flashlights that you shake back and forth to charge a coil with a magnet. has anyone tried them in the field? if so how did they perform?

thanks
dean

this site rocks

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Hi Longshot,
I had/have one of the small ones (same size as a AA maglite). It lasted about four months before it stopped working. I haven't thrown it out yet, I'm thinking of boffing up on my electrical knowledge to get the thing working again though.

ATB

Ogri the trog

davef

Forager
Mar 6, 2006
North Lancashire
they work ok but you get some VERY funny looks if to try to 'charge' one in public. We know a gut with one, he brought it camping 2yrs ago, made the mistake of using it around the fire and he's still getting the mickey taken even now!

seriously tho as an emergency fallback they're a great idea.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
davef said:
they work ok but you get some VERY funny looks if to try to 'charge' one in public. We know a gut with one, he brought it camping 2yrs ago, made the mistake of using it around the fire and he's still getting the mickey taken even now!

seriously tho as an emergency fallback they're a great idea.

I know what you mean Dave,
"Comment removed as its been up long enough already - Sorry Everyone"

I deeply apologise for the above remark and expect that it be removed as soon as it is read.

Ogri the trog

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:confused: Not a clue how to mod this one :rolleyes:
Never even thought about that use :eek:

I've got three of the torches, about 15cms size, and find them very good. HWMBLT thinks that the re-chargeable batteries may only last a couple of years, but they haven't failed yet so we may be maligning them.
Son1 took the first one and says it's a Good Thing. The second one lives in the car and I use it, haven't had a problem and no leaky batteries to fret about :D The third one is lying besides the couch just now where Son2 left it :rolleyes: He's been playing with it annoying the moggie, (How do you herd cats? try a laser pointer just ahead of where you want them to go :D :D Don't get it near their eyes though ) the cat chases the light over the room, under the furniture, etc. This torch is still working fine too and it's getting a lot of use, it's the one I use to go out to the sheds at night. I got fed up putting new batteries in the Maglights and bought these on my brother's recommendation. He was right they are very straightforward.

Cheers,
Toddy

P.S. If you wouldn't like to have to explain a response to your kids, think hard about posting it. The Edit button is awfully useful :cool:

mark wood

Forager
Jul 25, 2004
Newcastle
The one I've got doesn't stay bright for very long at all - far less than the time spent 'shaking' it. I may have a dud one (one of the 1 pound keyring LED lights is better than mine) but I wouldn't recommend mine.

Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE