Anyone own a metalworking lathe advice needed

WULF

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Does any member own a metalworking lathe?
If so could i ask some advice as i want to buy one but dont know much about them.
thanks

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Thanks guys,
now im looking at a lathe on ebay and from the picture the tool clamp appears to be much lower than the 3 jaw chuck,when I expected it to be the same height as though theres a block missing that raises the tool clamp.I know theres horizontal movement for cutting whilst spinning but as far as I understand theres no vertical movement?
As I say ive never had one before and may not be understanding them properly.

appreciate your knowledge:)

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
There probably shouldn't be any up and down movement as it's metal, only in and out and side to side. It's metal and you want to be a bit careful, as the tungsten bits for it are quite fragile, try not to catch it on the jaws as they chip awful easy! It will probably be set to the underside of it slightlyso the angle is there!

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
A tool post/tool holder needs to allow a certain amount of vertical adjustment so you can set the tool to centre height.

It does look like something is missing in that picture though. I can't see how a tool would be held at all.

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
A tool post/tool holder needs to allow a certain amount of vertical adjustment so you can set the tool to centre height.

It does look like something is missing in that picture though. I can't see how a tool would be held at all.

That's just why I asked as I thought the same even if its just a block of steel the fill the space......

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
Does seem low - I always have to shim my cutters to get them central, even after sharpening them, but that seems excessive in the photo.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
The red bit is the tool mount plate. Probably adjustable up and down to suit the tool bit holders requirements. But it isn't adjustable with the machine in motion, and the fine tuning will be done from above the plate by way of the tool.

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
The red bit is the tool mount plate. Probably adjustable up and down to suit the tool bit holders requirements. But it isn't adjustable with the machine in motion, and the fine tuning will be done from above the plate by way of the tool.
I get that mate but how would that tool clamp hold a tool ?

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
i suspect the tools are held in a separate bock that is then held in the too post ringed in red. Is the seller offering some tools with it? If so there should be the missing part attached to one of them in a picture ;)

I bought myself a lathe last year, having wanted to for a long time. I like old toos because they are sturdy and often simple mechanics to fix and maintain. BUT with precision tools like lathes and mills, they wear and unless you know what is wrong and how to fix them (aso have the facility/ability to do so), then they are incapable of accurate work. So in the end I bough a new machine. OK I couldn't get 'as much' machine for my money but at least I got something that worked properly out of the box, has a dealer that can answer my stupid questions and supplier parts should I need them. Also, it is all in metric so I can get/make/understand bits easily!

In the end I bought one from Amadeal, the AMA 240-550, with belt drive rather than variable speed (incase I had trouble with the VF due to my power supply). I looked around at similar and smaller lathes by other makers and they are all made in the same factories, so you pay more or less depending on where you buy it, the most expensive being Axminster of course. So far it has been faultless as has the customer support from the 12 year old in the showroom when I call up asking something silly. I've not used a metal lathe since school, so to begin with I was needing to use the instruction manual to work out what does what and the Chinglish transations weren't too bad!

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
i suspect the tools are held in a separate bock that is then held in the too post ringed in red. Is the seller offering some tools with it? If so there should be the missing part attached to one of them in a picture ;)

I bought myself a lathe last year, having wanted to for a long time. I like old toos because they are sturdy and often simple mechanics to fix and maintain. BUT with precision tools like lathes and mills, they wear and unless you know what is wrong and how to fix them (aso have the facility/ability to do so), then they are incapable of accurate work. So in the end I bough a new machine. OK I couldn't get 'as much' machine for my money but at least I got something that worked properly out of the box, has a dealer that can answer my stupid questions and supplier parts should I need them. Also, it is all in metric so I can get/make/understand bits easily!

In the end I bought one from Amadeal, the AMA 240-550, with belt drive rather than variable speed (incase I had trouble with the VF due to my power supply). I looked around at similar and smaller lathes by other makers and they are all made in the same factories, so you pay more or less depending on where you buy it, the most expensive being Axminster of course. So far it has been faultless as has the customer support from the 12 year old in the showroom when I call up asking something silly. I've not used a metal lathe since school, so to begin with I was needing to use the instruction manual to work out what does what and the Chinglish transations weren't too bad!

Thanks for that advice Dave,ive decided against the one as pictured due to the parts missing and the seller not being about to answer my questions.It almost appeared like he'd never used a lathe!Also the lack of tools put me off a bit.

I have now just paid a deposit on a rel minor 1/4hp lathe,comes with chucks,cutting tools etc and ive just spoke to the owner who knew what he was talking about.Sunday im of to Cumbria to collect it.

Thanks all for the advice given;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE