Anyone know what this flower is?

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
extko said:
thought id try and i.d a random flower I found in the woods for the first time and failed miserably, this is the only pic i can find of it. what is this Little purple flower ?

thanks
looks like a bellflower, maybe Campanula rotundifolia. without seeing the middle bit and the leaves, it's hard to say

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes i thought it would be better if he included a bit more of the flower, oh well, what can you tell us about the flower ? size etc
leon

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
looks like a bluebell to me but ours aren't out yet - I guess another week or two so I am not sure.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The the artistic but not very informative piccy, I would agree with leon-b that it is a bluebell.

There are two type of bluebell that grow in britian. The native hyacinthoides non-scripta has a one sided flowering spike that hooks over at the top and the very top of stem rather than being green is purply blue. The other is the h. hispanica which has a flowering spike that stands upright and is green, the flowers form sorounding the the stem rather than on one side. Most common is a hybred of the two that has a mixture of the above features.

Presuming the leaf in piccy is the leaf of the plant I would diffantly say it was a bluebell. They have striaght lilly like leaves where as a bellflowers have oblong leaves.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Jan 30, 2007
Wigan
thanks for all the replys, i didnt have a camera on me, thats a pic i found on the net, it was the only flower on its own with no other flowers around it in the woods so i didnt pick it.

it was about 3 inch tall, a couple of small flowers right at the top, the petals were bright purple and white at the base and where long and thin.

i looked at those pics and im almost certain its the bluebell, the petals didnt look like the harebell petals

lol bad start if i cant even i.d a bluebell :lmao:

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
but it is a start...think how many people would have walked past and not cared that they could not ID it, you did care and now you have and idea what it is. Repeat that 30 times and you ave a good knoweldge base to build onto :) Keep going!

Butchd

Forager
Feb 20, 2007
Surrey
It is a start indeed. Add a few more plants as the seasons change and next year you will be well on your way to recognising many of the more common plants, which is more than most can do.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE