anyone know any britta filter compatable filter systems

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I'm giving up on posh filters, the one I have doesn't even remove the limescale, I worry that it's faulty and not removing the pathogens, it's really expensive to replace, hard to obtain, etcetc.

The britta filter on the other hand filters the impurities, easy to obtain, small to carry backups, cheap (in comparrison). As for the nasties I'll feel much more reassured using a failsafe method, boiling, pills, and I can always filter it twice to get rid of the chemicals.

Does anyone know of any device out there? Preferably not a bottle, as it can be a bit limiting in filter size, and they seem a bit pedantic

Don't say a jug!

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Taps work pretty well and you can boil the stuff in kettles if you think you are at risk of water born pathogens.
Not many folk in the UK die of accumulated poisoning from drinking tapwater and everyone in hardwater areas have limescale in their drinking water.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
No filter will remove the chemicals which cause lime scale (calcium carbonate & calcium bicarbonate. ) . The ions are far too small. Similarly, a filter cannot remove "chemicals" - typically iron and various other metals present in solution in very small quantities. Typically, camping filters (such as the Sawyer Mini being discussed on another thread here) remove "pathogens" such as bacteria and cysts. Some (.02 micron) also filter out viruses. The sawyer doesn't cost much and lasts indefinitely (back flush regularly to keep clean). Any UK municipal water supply does not need filtering to be potable the tiny amounts of calcium and sodium are no danger (probably beneficial).

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Not at home, otherwise I'd say jug, as they do remove limescale, (no connection). The sawyer, is it breakable crackable? things like this are all very well but if they ain't failsafe, I tend to worry

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The Sawyer mini filter is a cracking bit of kit, I had one and then got another off a recent group buy. Very simple to use, the 'thread' will let you use standard 1/2/3 litre plastic bottles and will be a safer option than using a Britta filter... for <£30 it makes sense to buy the Sawyer filter.

Its a tough plastic casing on the filter so not easy at all to break, battery for scale

20141004_153714.jpg

20141004_153854.jpg

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Sawyer mini is made of plastic, so if you jump on it with hob nail boots you will probably break it. I would say it is less breakable than most of the equipment I use.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Sawyer mini is made of plastic, so if you jump on it with hob nail boots you will probably break it. I would say it is less breakable than most of the equipment I use.
But far more dangerous if it does, and far more important. The point about the tablets or boiling is if done properly they are fail safe, so it looks like one of the sawyers and tablets

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Petro - quite agree. For such an important part of the equipment, I second redundancy. I ALWAYS have purifying tablets in my emergency bag, which goes in my day bag, and over to my overnight and multi days back packs when they are used. BTW, the squeeze bags supplied by Sawyer are reported by many users to be unreliable and better replaced by Platypus type bags or soda bottles. I do think that the Sawyer systems are more reliable than any pump system typically available in outdoor stores (katadyn etc.) as there are no moving parts.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE