Anyone interested

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
Hey guys
I have been working for some time on a hunting shirt with some major influences and ideas, I have gone through several variations of ideas and have recently come up with a completed version.
The pattern to be honest is not quite complate yet, theres a few dozen sizes which need to be changed by a quarter inch or so none the less....Heres the ideas and principles involved in the construction. I would like peoples ideas on this and especially whether or not people may be interested in purchasing them if we choose to make them for others givin the fact that neither I or my seamstress is not paticularily skilled in pattern cutting to fit paticular sizing..

Anyway, here goes.
The material is Mole skin and pig skin.
Mole skin because of it's ruggedness, silence in movement, durability in wear, drying speed compared to regular cotton and matt look...
Pigskin because it's one of the few machine washable leathers, durable, light weight and easy to aqquire despite the price of my personally choosen suppliers...based on quality of course.

The general cut is a mix of Pirate, smart, goth, and hunter/military look

The sleeves each have two semi discreet pockets capable of storing several different items more especially if paired with a custom made pouch system, or generally shoving in random crap you may have just normally thrown in your coat.

The sleeves based on a pirate shirt design have long laces used in tying itself tight, being a mojor aspect of trapping air, and shrinking down the sillouhette (spelling?) for use in archery and such.

The sleeve lace can be in you choice of paracord, and your getting over four metres because of the cut... Handy enough for a hammock slinging in more dense woodland and conservative use of the cord itself.

The sleeve design allows for additional fluffing materials in order to maximise the potential of heat retention due not only to the extra material in pocket formation and the amount of lacve used.

The sleeves tying system can also be switched so that it adheres to a camo style guille suit using dried grasses twigs or what ever is near by.

Another advantage of the sleeves tying system is that it allows a very tight or very loose fit helping to trap more heat if you require it.

The cuffs are double buttoned in a stealth manor, are silent in use and tough enough to last.

The chest area has two pockets, each of which allow for two pen slots, much like the german army shirts, Anyone who knows the german army shirts knows what I mean.
Thats four pen/pencil slots with internal pockets stopping them from interfering with other pocketed items.

The cut of the pockets and shoulder area are reinforced with leather (suede, in my current test version), This is for durability of the upper shoulder when used for carrying multiple blocks of burnable fire wood, and the pockets just because it looks cool on the pockets...

The pockets themselves utilise two buttons each, Large buttons are used for winter/cold weather suited use unlike the common swandri jackets...

The shoulders and the back are lined for the purpose of durability and weather proofing needs of the sort that you would expect from a hunting shirt.

The waist sides are laced shut, again using a dense weave allowing for superior ventillation yet retaining the ability to tighten up in order to trap both air and thus heat.

Personally I am currently using hook and eyes for closure on the front of the shirt, I have found this very discreet, and strong, even knowing that one of the principles of the entire shirt is it's wilderness replacability. (Hence no metalwork generally)

Anyway

Thats the main principles of wear and use, Does anyone have any opinions on this as described...Bearing in mind I have been experimanting with the idea of a wilderness/work suitable shirt for any and all weathers you may or may not face (FOR ME ANYWAY)

Thanks in advance, But poease leave a comment...

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Sounds interesting 8S,
though I find it difficult to picture without photos - even photos of the things that you've taken as inspiration (with descriptions of which features you've taken and why) and then close-ups of the individual charateristics already described.
Mentally for me there is a difference between a "Hunting" shirt and a "Hunters" shirt. The first being an item used for the activity of hunting, and the second being one worn by a hunter - and thus influenced by his sport but not necessarily worn for the act of hunting.
I picked up on this where you mentioned about "washable leather" as I probably wouldnt want to wash a garment that I'd be using for the persuit of prey, I'd probably prefer to leave it hanging somewhere to air naturally and acquire a neutral scent.

Anyway, I have some wierd ideas about what my ideal outdoor wear should encompass and in the enternal words of the forum....

This thread is worthless without pictures!

ATB

Ogri the trog

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
It sounds an interesting concept, but as ogri says,we need photos.

I can't picture in my mind the "pirate"sleeve, and i would be concerned that i would end up looking like "Adam Ant " !, so some photos please.

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
I have been wearing my proto type (not quite as described) virtually non stop since march.
I have not really been in the woods too much with it yet. But here are current observations on the design.

The sleeve pockets are indeed handy for carrying odds and sods, more for larger flat folding things than smaller stuff.

Suede triangle at the bottom edge is handy for cleaning glass, mirrors, specs etc Keeping this idea.

Suede washes and wears well (only slight fading)

Used hook and eyes but they snag my shemagh...Changing somehow...

Pen pockets are perfect.

It's currently too warm, so working on a modified way of venting it, and making it looser.

Unless tightly tied the sleeve cords may snag in heavy brush movement.

Sleeves tighten well for archery use (avoiding drag)

I am hoping to get a roll of cheap moleskin soon to try another variation born from above, I may try to get a pictorial review up on it at that time. Keep you posted.

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
Ogri, I am curious to hear about your opinions personally about the differences between a hunting shirt and a hunters shirt.
Incidentally, I can't actually remember your real name, PM me it would you, it bugs me. And out of curiousity do you actually remamber me from the course???

As the knife steel I am wanting to make my own knife with is still out of stock I am wanting to move ahead on this design, so hopefully some of your ideas might get employed where at all possible.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE