Anyone have a Recta Thermometer.....no i said RECTA

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bmartin1uk

Forager
May 4, 2010
Baldock, Herts
Does anyone have one of these Recta thermometer and compass?

I bought one the other day and bit embarrassed to say, i'm not entirely sure how to read it!:eek:

I was always under the assumption that the top of the red liquid (alcohol?) was where you read the temperature. However, on the Recta thermometer theres also a white line a small distance from the top that moves with the rise and fall of the red liquid, and this white line seems to be closer to the presumed temperature from the weather man or office aircon panel.

Anyone else seen this on theres.

The white line is at the 20 degrees c in this picture and the office aircon is set to 22. So i'm assuming its correct? Despite it taking almost 3 hours to reach this temperature from 16 degrees when i took it out of my bag this morning. Theres no way its 30 degrees in here! Just trying to find out if my thermometer works really.
5939872896_dcae5d4c17_b.jpg

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
That looks like there is a gap in the spirit column rather than an intentional space. In the wards, in the old days when we used mercury thermoms, that indicated a fault in the thermometer. I've always read a thermometer from the top of the column..

On the recta site, there doesnt look like there is a break in the column
http://www.recta.ch/en/comet

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
I bought one to take with me to the Arctic a while back,... It didn't work !
Hope you find one that does mate! ( and if you do, give me a shout please ! )
My best.
Chris.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Before you bin it or otherwise try flicking it really hard. By flicking it I mean hold it in your hand and flicking your arm in a whipping motion.

You can sometimes make the contents rejoin if you do that.

Yep, try that or go for a refund.
Keep mind that These things aren't too trustworthy when working properly either.

Take two same with compasses,just in case.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE