Anyone fancy a bit of biving on the Brecon Beacons?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Timm

Sep 15, 2005
Gloucestershire
Fallow Way said:
i would be interested when further details come to light :)

I've tried to PM the details but got this message

"Fallow Way has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space"

Let me know if when you have cleared it and I will send you the details if you still interested.

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
Ed said:
Cheers..... I know the route you'll be roughly taking,.... well .... I know the waterfalls you'll be passing and walking behind ;)..... so I may take a wander up the river to meet you. Keep your ears out for a penny whistle :)

Ed

Not sure if this is the waterfall Ed mentioned - it's called Sgwd yr Eira and is about ten minutes drive followed by half an hour's walk from Storey Arms, or about ten minutes drive followed by half an hour's walk from Penderyn - depends on which way you're coming from. Walking behind it after a period of heavy rain is quite an experience. The spray can be so dense that it seems as though there's not enough air to breathe. :D If you're lucky, you may see one of the crazy locals paddling their canoe over the edge and dropping into the pool below. :eek: :eek: :eek:

nwao20.jpg

Jan 11, 2006
brecon
sorry guys like i said noob, totally different place to what i was thinking of ill need to follow sumone from merthyr, brecon or similar any offers ?
im not scared to get in a car with a stranger although your suspension may feel differently :lmao:

K

KenC

I'd be very interested. Not sure I can do the 4 days, but would might be able to meet you for a couple of nights. There are some great hammocking sites in that area.

Let me know the plan as/if it develops.

K.

Timm

Sep 15, 2005
Gloucestershire
KenC said:
I'd be very interested. Not sure I can do the 4 days, but would might be able to meet you for a couple of nights. There are some great hammocking sites in that area.

Let me know the plan as/if it develops.

K.

The plan is to get to Storey Arms a 12 noon on 23rd March where at the moment I'm meeting Lyndon, head over to SN922193 (Llech-Llia) for the first night .

I’m waiting to hear back from Woods Wanderer & M@rk as to where they want to meet.

Suggested meeting places on 23rd, Entrance Merthyr Tydfil train station 11am – Storey Arms 12noon – Llech-Llia after 4pm (if anyone misses a meet just head for Llech-Llia you can get a Taxi to with in about 100m of the place)

Then head along the Roman road (more of a track than a road) and find a place for the night, as you say great hammocking area.

On Saturday we’ll be heading for SN918084 passed Sgwd yr Eira (the water fall in the picture above) to meet up with Ed for the night.

Sunday head home.

We’ll be walking for about 4 hour a day can’t tell you exact route as we’ll make it up on the day, and depends on where we camp on Friday.

If you want to meet on the Friday that’s fine just PM me your suggestion and we can work something out.

Timm

Timm

Sep 15, 2005
Gloucestershire
Thanks M@rk & Woods Wanderer for getting back

The list up till now of people who are interested or definitely coming is:

Lyndon
Woods Wanderer
M@rk
Fallow Way
KenC
Ed (meeting us at SN918084 for the Saturday night)
oh and me

Look forward to meet you all.

Tim

K

KenC

I'll be meeting you all on the Friday night, and on the Sunday may be able to lift people back to their cars at the Storey Arms or thereabouts if needed. Could be space for anyone going back along the M4 corridor too. PM if you're interested.

Looking forward to it!

K.

Jan 11, 2006
brecon
if you aint got a map :-
story arms to sn922913(llech llia) is around 4 1/4 miles allthough if you flatten it out it would be closer to 5 1/2 (at least half of it is down hill :lol: )

sn922913(llech llia) to
SN918084 passed Sgwd yr Eira (the water fall in the picture above) is approximatly 7 miles

so the way i see it -thursday 23rd march 12;00 hrs meet at story arms 5 mile walk to first camp site generous e,t,a, of 16.00 hrs (even i cant complain about that and i complain about a lot :p)
not sure if we,r spending friday night here at the waterfall or some where in between? timm ?
anyway friday or saterday a nice little 7 mile walk :eek: but all day to do it in (i hope :lol: )
if i got any of this wrong feel free to correct me :nono: . :D

just a point of interest=
bergen£50
civi sleeping bag that sucked £30
army sleeping bag£30
hammock£18
walking boots£120
basha£25
ration packs£50
knife£wich one i bought 5 :lol:
trousers£27
thats what ive spent to come camping with you guys :eek:
(and the wife still speaks to me :D . :D . :D . :D )

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Here's what you do Lyndon. Add up what you spent. After each night out, divide the sum by the number of nights to get your price per night. When it gets less than £30, tell her it's cheaper than a B&B and you're actually saving money. :lmao:

My wife and I did this after I bought a Terra Nova Quasar a couple of years ago. We were camping together but it was still a lot of money at the time. Those first couple of nights, she had trouble justifying "Hilton prices". :)

Timm

Sep 15, 2005
Gloucestershire
lyndon said:
if you aint got a map :-
story arms to sn922913(llech llia) is around 4 1/4 miles allthough if you flatten it out it would be closer to 5 1/2 (at least half of it is down hill :lol: )

sn922913(llech llia) to
SN918084 passed Sgwd yr Eira (the water fall in the picture above) is approximatly 7 miles

so the way i see it -thursday 23rd march 12;00 hrs meet at story arms 5 mile walk to first camp site generous e,t,a, of 16.00 hrs (even i cant complain about that and i complain about a lot :p)
not sure if we,r spending friday night here at the waterfall or some where in between? timm ?
anyway friday or saterday a nice little 7 mile walk :eek: but all day to do it in (i hope :lol: )
if i got any of this wrong feel free to correct me :nono: . :D

just a point of interest=
bergen£50
civi sleeping bag that sucked £30
army sleeping bag£30
hammock£18
walking boots£120
basha£25
ration packs£50
knife£wich one i bought 5 :lol:
trousers£27
thats what ive spent to come camping with you guys :eek:
(and the wife still speaks to me :D . :D . :D . :D )

Your about right for the Thursday, on the Friday we're taking a bit of a detour alone the Roman road and finding somewhere to camp.

I aiming at about 4 hours walking a day with some stops for a brew, so don't worry mate no gut busting marches.

Give my apologies to your wife but you will need a rollmat, as on the first night there nowhere to hang your hammock. A bivi bag would be a good idea as well, about £25 from the army surplus the last time I looked.

And I know it's to late now but why did you spend £50 on a rat pack when you can get dried food from Tescos for half the price, they both taste like crap.

But if your anything like me you won't be happy with the kit you've got and end up buying more just don't tell the wife.

All I can say is sorry but I will organize more weekend like this in the future if you interested and the wife hasn't killed you, and as Scanker said it eventually get cheaper than B&B.

Anyway you can't put a price on a couple of nights in the woods with the lads can you!

Jan 11, 2006
brecon
just got back in from sleeping out in the becons last night woke up with an inch of snow on me it was apparently around -3 .(+wind chill )

timm was you expecting summer conditions for this meet :lmao: ?
my kit is actually to heavy for a 300 yard walk ill have to do somthing about that no idea what though.
,just thought ide let ppl know what to expect next week :D

Timm

Sep 15, 2005
Gloucestershire
I was hoping for clear skies but cool, I've spent several nights there in the past when my water bottle has frozen, stick it down your pants and it soon melts the down side is you turn into a girl.

As long as it doesn't rain I'll be happy.

Regarding the weight, throw out everything your not 100% sure you'll need.

Tim

M@rk

Forager
Aug 31, 2005
Purley, (south London) Surrey
I had a look at a ten day forecast this morning, it doesn’t look like its going to be to cold but we are going to have showers. Personally I don’t mind what the weather is like though I was hoping a clear sky at night.
Is anyone thinking of not coming because of the weather after all it is supposed to be spring. :umbrella:
Forecast

A

andyman

i've been to that waterfall a few times, it's a beautiful place but all the steps can be a pain in the arris :lmao:

theres still a little snow high up on the beacons so wrap up warm!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE