Anyone Else Noticed...

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
...the numbers of single, middle-aged men with large backpacks walking the lanes?
Now the weather seems to be turning I have noticed over the last couple of weeks a relatively high number of people walking the countryside, looking outdoorsy and slightly dishevelled, with packs on their back too big for just an afternoon stroll. All male. Always on their own.
Last week I was driving through West Farleigh and I saw two men, on their own, clearly either on their way to or from the woods. And this morning as I was driving into Canterbury I saw another bod near Chilham looking similar.
I've been doing the whole 'outdoors' thing for many years, but never noticed so many people before. Either my eyes have come accustomed to seeing bushcrafters and can spot them easily, or numbers are increasing. Possibly a mixture of the two.
Or maybe since the weather is getting better my mind is turning to camping out for the night (I'm happy to admit I'm a fair weather camper) and so I'm seeing more of it because I'm thinking more of it.
What a marvellous morning.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
There could be something in that. i've noticed a massive jump in the number of volunteer applications at my work, from people who want to learn more about working in the outdoors. There has also been a gender shift too - most of our applicants used to be 20 something women. now it is more mixed with a decent proportion of men over 30 applying.

I think the general message from the media about our precarious position in the world is hitting home and folk are perhaps making an effort to get out of their comfort zone, the couch.

Also where do you live Durluz? Are there any factories near by that have made workers redundant? An increase in the number of walkers would correlate with an increase in the number of peoplw with free time....

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
There has also been a gender shift too - most of our applicants used to be 20 something women. now it is more mixed with a decent proportion of men over 30 applying....
I'm not surprised if there are plenty of 20-something women there...
love72.gif

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I'm not surprised if there are plenty of 20-something women there...
love72.gif

:D last year most guys seem to be scared of volunteering with us because they had to go through an enhanced disclosure, its funny how things change. If anything I'm stricter about all that than I ever have been.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've noticed a lot more blokes in the woods lately aswell but most of them have a guilty look on their face and seem to be looking over their shoulder all the time. Very odd.

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
There'll be one more this weekend :naughty:
It's probably due to a combination of several reasons; economic downturn, influx of this years middle-aged 'Mears' generation' and a gradual realisation that life involves more than just a couch potatoe mindset.

Where these 20-something women at again? :D

I've noticed a lot more blokes in the woods lately aswell but most of them have a guilty look on their face and seem to be looking over their shoulder all the time. Very odd.
Maybe some aren't used to having gert big blades on them and are half expecting and Armed Response Unit to swoop on them Sweeny style and drag them down to the nick over a camping knife and an axe.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I've notice more younger men, on push bikes about, but Not older men with bags. might just be an area thing.:confused:

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
workers redundant? An increase in the number of walkers would correlate with an increase in the number of peoplw with free time....

That's what my money's on too locum76.
Kit monsters who finally have a bit more time on their hands, and a freedom to enjoy what they want to do, and best of all, it's a relatively cheap hobby....

And second the sightings of cyclist, again, a cheap 'outdoorsy' type enjoyment thing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE