Anyone do any Napoleonic re-enacting ?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Long story, but the short version is that I need to talk with someone who has a good grounding in Napoleonic stuff, particularly British regiments and their uniforms.

atb,
Mary

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi Marry
tried to PM you but tha's full.
The eldest was into Naps for a few years and we have a great stack of books on uniforms, we could send them by My Hermes if they would help. Some quite serious ones with cutting patterns etc as well as a stack of Ospreys.

Let us know what you need to know if no real expert puts his hand up.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Having lived 10 minutes from Waterloo, I became a bit of a Napoleonic buff and have/had some pretty good reference books... PM me with what you need to know and I will try to help :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ah :D :D Blessings on you both :D

I need details of the jackets that the Scottish regiments wore with kilts. The Camerons in particular somewhere around 1810.

I can buy patterns for most of the uniforms but none seem to be of the cut to fit the kilt.
I don't mind drafting patterns, but I'd like a pretty good look at what I'm supposed to be making first.

atb,
Mary

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Ah :D :D Blessings on you both :D

I need details of the jackets that the Scottish regiments wore with kilts. The Camerons in particular somewhere around 1810.

I can buy patterns for most of the uniforms but none seem to be of the cut to fit the kilt.
I don't mind drafting patterns, but I'd like a pretty good look at what I'm supposed to be making first.

atb,
Mary

I will se what I can find :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
OK - it seems the tunic/jacket was a standard one with no allowance for the kilt.
2773030_3301483_pm.jpg
This is of a light company sergeant - flank co.s had the fancy "wing" epaulets , centre co.s had tufted epaulets onlyI found this on line - I do not know it's copyright status.
I have Bryan Fostens book on the uniforms of the footguards at Waterloo which has some pretty clear line drawings of the jackets if that is of use to you.
If it is PM me with your address and I will post the book up to you for a loan of however long you need it ... I will want it back eventually though!:)

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
This sort of thing of use?

image.jpg1_zpsjx8kydot.jpg

ATB

TOM

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Aye, is a great book, I'm hoping he gets the companion works on artillery equipment s and another that covers rocket troops through the ages. Unfortunately he now seams to be into Ancient Greek warfare with books on armour made from linen.

The cutting patterns a bit basic but probably no worse than what the tailors were given.

image.jpg1_zpsgjq6tdfo.jpg

Atb

Tom

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thank you both; I think I need to pester Ian again. He's been to the museum (in Aberdeen ?) and he said the jacket that he saw was definitely cut to fit the kilt.
There is, as far as we know, only one extant jacket, and it's an officer's one.

I can buy the correct fabrics (right down to the materials and dyes :) ) and the 'lace', the buttons and the sphinx badges are being made/commissioned just now. Feathers and the cap bands I have still to source, but the cap design is pretty straightforward so I'm not fretting over that.

The jacket is annoying me.
I have made redcoat uniforms for a while now, but this one is just a shade too light on detail to please me.
I believe there is one group doing this particular regiment/period, but it's in Holland. I was hoping that there might be someone a little nearer home I could discuss thoughts and concerns.

Thank you for all the offers of help and information :D
I think that between us Monach and I have copies of most of the books mentioned. I'll check and I'll pester you both :D
I'm going to pester you both anyway :D :eek:

atb,
Mary

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sharpe ? I can't watch costume dramas, I sit there furious or appalled at the muddle of wardrobe mock ups and confusions :eek: :eek:
Trish's comment goes, "Would you look at the partlet on that !!, it's so last century" :shocked: :rolleyes:

I know the issues of budget and the physical differences, but it still doesn't look right.

That's actually a good point; the uniforms I'm making are to be as 'authentic' as I can make them, but they have to fit modern people, who are generally better fed and not as lean or hardy as our ancestors were. It always needs some adjustment.

M

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I take your point Mary, I have a friend who is a WW2 German buff, you should hear him rant about the uniforms on "Kelly's Heros"!

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Last edited:

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
I know the issues of budget and the physical differences, but it still doesn't look right.

That's actually a good point; the uniforms I'm making are to be as 'authentic' as I can make them, but they have to fit modern people, who are generally better fed and not as lean or hardy as our ancestors were. It always needs some adjustment.

M
When the work relocated me to Canterbury 12 years ago, it seemed a good idea at the time. One of the first cocktail parties, involved two guards wearing highlan rig from the castle display. Funny enough the two tunics/doublet fitted the slimmer small jocks, Drummers provided the headgear, with kilts white feet and sporrans passing muster. Muskets also came from the castle too. Due to their age, the faded tunics stank from century old sweat. Looked smart though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE