Anybody else NOT use a sleeping bag ?

A

appletree_man

I've used a couple of wool blankets, and a poncho, for the last 3 outings, never felt the need for a sleeping bag.
Well, if it's good enough for Russian soldiers....

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Last two nights I've slept out in the hammock I used a fur bed throw and was warm enough. I don't own a decent quality sleeping bag.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
In the desert or jungle I have rarely used a sleeping bag merely a quilted throw when it gets cold in the night in the desert and a mozzie net in the jungle (it stays hot in the jungle in my experience and the slight coolth in the wee small hours is to be relished!).
On survival exercises dry leaves did a good job but in most cercs I use a good sleeping bag, though it is rare that I do it all the way up using it more like a quilt (in a tent) or an under and around the sides layer in a hammock... until it gets cold!

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Being a "cold" sleeper and feeling restricted by sleeping bags and when trying to kip in outer clothes; I'd sooner make do with a thick blanket or light quilt.

Ceeg

seamonkey

Forager
Sep 11, 2004
Scotland - Angus
Wool Blankets are the way forward, well worth picking up. A couple sewn together make for a nice long lasting sleeping swag.

Also If you are tent camping it's worth keeping a couple around in case of fire for wrapping yourself/family.

cheers

A

appletree_man

I picked up a couple of tartan wool blankets recently, Scottish made, and just a few quid each
Before this I used a borrowed sleeping bag (don't know the make), but just couldn't get used to it.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Must admit I`ve always used a sleeping bag of some description or other, but lately I seem to be using the hammock more often and the two just don`t seem right together.
I`ve been thinking of a change but don`t want anything to bulky or heavy, it will be good to hear peoples views now that you`ve asked the question. With winter approaching and a promise to myself to get out more this season I expect I`ll be bringing out the MOD arctic bag again. Toasty !!

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Wool Blankets are the way forward, well worth picking up. A couple sewn together make for a nice long lasting sleeping swag.

Also If you are tent camping it's worth keeping a couple around in case of fire for wrapping yourself/family.

cheers

now that is not a bad idea at all

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
American quilty poncho liner thingy, throw a seam on a couple of sides to make it into a lightweight bag or just use one as a wrap.

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
I stopped using a sleepiong bag a while back now,always sleep in my clothes on a nice insulated bed,not even a blanklet - Im going to get a nice wool green blanket from millets though that will pack away nicely and is very light for £6.99

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
Also i find - if your in a sleepin bag you wake up with chicken pox look from midgie bites - but if you sleep without one you only have a few on your face as they are distributed about! :D

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
A coupe of bin bags underneath your blankets, filled with leaf litter will help in keeping you warm aswell. How much does a bin bag weigh!

The missus crocheted me a blanket, some members saw it at Delamere. It is acrylic though, very soft and very warm, but I don't trust it near the fire and wouldn't want to spoil it if it melted. The missus put a lot of work into it.

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
Nice Spamel, bin liner leaf blankets your onto sumthing their! also would make a good sleeping mat, or would not enough space to get a air to it

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Well, you can use them as blankets, but if you stuff enough in, they make ideal mats. They can also double up as a waterproof in an emergency, or a water carrier, or a blind for playing games! You can even put rubbish in them! Loads of uses!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE