Any metal turners/ machinists out there?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
Not been on for a while but I wonder if some talented person out there could help me?

I am after some steel turning to fit a tow strap to the front of my mk2 Renault clio, like in this picture.
Its an M16 thread (which threads in where a towing eye would go), then an extension bar, then step down to 13mm to fit the tow strap on to, and a thread for a bolt to hold it in place.
attachment.php

If anyone is up to the task, please drop me a PM. Thanks
Mods delete if not allowed.

Attachments

• towingeye.jpg
    towingeye.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 124

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I would be cautious about making something you'll be using for towing. You could run into a whole heap of trouble with your insurance if anything goes wrong while you're using it.

Dave

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
It's largely for aesthetics and occasional track use so i'm not especially bothered about the insurance. Plus there is no reason a bolt should fail (it's essentially an m16 with one end turned down to 13mm)

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I feel you'd be better off with a normal tow eye and a shackle. I wouldn't trust a 13mm bolt for recovery and having that sticking out of the bumper wouldn't be very safe in a collision

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Good luck drilling it - you'll need a blacksmith's drill. I apologise, I got confused with the 13mm (1/2' UNC or M12 I'd guess) - should be plenty strong enough.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE