Any ideas what this is?

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
And now for something completely different...

Is this even a fungus, or is it a liverwort? Found growing on a muddy/gravelly/slightly wet-flushed car park

Either way, I have no intention of eating it.​

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Thanks BB!!

I mentioned that it might be a cyanobacteria on another thread where these pics are posted, and that was the conclusion that I was coming to. Just the fact that it is green rules out fungi, and I've seen cyanobacteria grow like this in mountain streams.

Much appreciated.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Green Algae also called nostoc.

Thanks for that, I see it occasionally but always defer success in remembering to ID it :eek:

A quick search (quote from here) threw up ...

When it is on the ground, a nostoc colony is ordinarily not seen; but after a rain it swells up into a conspicuous jellylike mass, which was once thought to have fallen from the sky; hence the popular names, star jelly, troll’s butter, witch's butter (not to be confused with the fungus Tremella mesenterica), and witch’s jelly.
Michael Quinion of the "World Wide Words" newsletter says that it is known in Welsh as pwdre sêr (rot of the stars).

Has it been raining much then? :eek: :umbrella: :sad6: .

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Right. So it's edible. That means I have to try eating it. I just went up to where I saw it the other day to take a photo. Now I'm going to go back and collect some. I've tried eating slime moulds; why not cyanobacteria? I expect its like the green seaweeds ("sea lettuce"), but not so tough.

On the way there I also found my first one of these oddities:

255207_10150893860142484_278166456_n.jpg

No leaves, no clorophyll, hardly deserves to be called a plant at all! :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE