Any experience with shipping forwarders from US to UK/Europe?

Flannelfoot

Tenderfoot
Apr 15, 2012
South-west
Hi guys

I've had my eye on on tents & gear, and it is so much cheaper in the US (even after shipping and import tax/etc).

Unfortunately, the brand of tent doesn't allow their US retailers to sell to Europe. It's ridiculous that an Estonian-made, Swedish branded tent costs less in the USA than it does here, but there you go...

So, the outdoor retailer I've been e-mailing recommended I use a post forwarding service. He recommended "shipito" dot com. You pay them a fee, they receive the item from the shop, re-label the parcel and/or consolidate numerous parcels into a single package, then send it to you.

After a bit of snooping around online, I've seen loads of praise and an equal amount of complaints for this company, and others providing the same sort of service. "Myus" dot com is another one which gets a lot of mentions.

From the google searched conversations on other forums which I've just read, you get a lot of people with 1 post and no previous forum activity popping up & chiming in about how wonderful the service is. Shills? This forum is full of solid folk in my mind, so what do you lot think?

Has anyone hear had any luck with such a service?

Cheers

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Never tried them (obviously; since I'm in the US) But I have a suggestion. Try them with something relatively cheap and see how it goes.

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
I have a collegue who is competeing in drag race on a national level. He gets motors and parts sent over from the US on a regular basis.
He uses a norwegian company named JetCarrier (http://www.jetcarrier.com/) and he is very satisfied with them, never lost a singel part in transit, never any problems with payments, delivery or service in general.
I am not sure if they send to other european countries, but it could be worth asking.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Add in VAT and import duties and see if its still a good deal, you may well have to pay them when the parcel arrives plus another charge for collecting the extra fees. I've had a lot from the States but its always forwarded over by friends out there.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...plus another charge for collecting the extra fees..."

Make sure the carrier you choose provides a door to door price listing all likely charges, folks like Parcelforce will charge you for adding the VAT to your purchase and possibly a few other charges if the mood takes them.

MarkinLondon

Nomad
May 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
If the gear was my own camping or fishing gear (not new) would VAT apply? I'm thinking of sending for my stateside kit. I keep hearing that it's too damn expensive to consider.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
If the gear was my own camping or fishing gear (not new) would VAT apply? I'm thinking of sending for my stateside kit. I keep hearing that it's too damn expensive to consider.

It can depend on the mood a person sitting in an office, even with the original receipts, they may charge you VAT and argue about it afterwards.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Its a minefield. I've been burned before as have others on this thread.

It might be worth asking a stateside member you trust to forward it onto you for a consideration. I'm sure most of us would be happy to help them with Europe>USA so maybe they could look to do the same?

Either that, anyone here off to the US on holiday soon and can help you out?

MarkinLondon

Nomad
May 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
Its a minefield. I've been burned before as have others on this thread.

It might be worth asking a stateside member you trust to forward it onto you for a consideration. I'm sure most of us would be happy to help them with Europe>USA so maybe they could look to do the same?

Either that, anyone here off to the US on holiday soon and can help you out?

How would a private person sending it be any different?

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
As MoT said, then it is a gift from a private individual and not a sale from a registered company. It also becomes by default second hand goods.

In short, VAT chap has no further interest in you.

If you have a sea container sent by your 'mate' turning up at Liverpool docks once a fortnight, then that will change, but for the odd parcel here and there, common sense from HMRC applies.

MarkinLondon

Nomad
May 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
As MoT said, then it is a gift from a private individual and not a sale from a registered company. It also becomes by default second hand goods.

In short, VAT chap has no further interest in you.

If you have a sea container sent by your 'mate' turning up at Liverpool docks once a fortnight, then that will change, but for the odd parcel here and there, common sense from HMRC applies.

that's good to hear. I'll look into it.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Mark, I had a mate who did his flight training in Arizona. He used to send me things over every now and then. I never had an issue.

However, every time I have purchased something from a retailer in the US and had it send, I've been taxed. Every single time bar none.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Mark, I had a mate who did his flight training in Arizona. He used to send me things over every now and then. I never had an issue.

However, every time I have purchased something from a retailer in the US and had it send, I've been taxed. Every single time bar none.

Same as, bar 2 from Amazon.com for which they have refunded me :)

Flannelfoot

Tenderfoot
Apr 15, 2012
South-west
I am not sure if they send to other european countries, but it could be worth asking.

Thanks for the Jetcarrier tip. I'll try to get in touch with them. Other than that, some American friends would really be useful!

I did buy a multitool from a lady called Charity Chimnee in the US. She helpfully ensured I did not get hit with import tax when it arrived in the UK. I think she is quite well known on British Blades, and very reputable. Might try dropping her a line...

If anyone else has experience with shipping forwarders, good or bad, it would still be good to hear about it here.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
My last Gene Ingram order (£400) arrived marked as "Camp Tool" and with a value of $20.

I didn't request it, Gene did it anyway - some people are just nice.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE