Any cool areas in the Netherlands?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

robotchicken80

Tenderfoot
Nov 12, 2012
Verden (Germany)
Hi

I live in Germany and bushcraft there is almost impossible: everything is forbbiden. I was thinking about a weekend trip to the Netherlands.
Anybody knows about any area in Holland?
Thanks in advance
Toni

Stroller

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 27, 2012
London
Everything in the UK is also illegal.
Just don't get caught, or say it is for charity and dig out a donation form.
And if that fails.....run.

jorn

Forager
Aug 26, 2011
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands
Holland is probably even worse then Germany, since it's so densly populated. This is also the reason why the chance you get caught in Holland is reasonably high. The forresters in Holland seem to be a little more relaxed when you do get caught. If i were you, which i'm not, i would be quite happily practice my skills in some forest. I've been to the Eiffel and the Harz a few times on hiking/bushcrafttrips and never been bothered by anyone. Never even camped on a proper campsite during those trips which adds up to 15 or so nights of wildcamping whitout getting caught.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Jorn is right, but it all depends on the area you are visiting.
In the past years the southern part (Limburg) used to be very strictly watched over, with a zero tolerancepolicy. That doesn't mean the occassional forrester or other lawenforcer would not turn a blind eye or let you off with a warning, but that was only the exception.
I'm sure there's more room to manouever on your side of the border, Robotchicken. Maybe try the http://www.bushcraftportal.net/. It's the German equivalant of the BCUK and I'm sure they are more than willing to help!

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
Scotland is more free of restrictions than the rest of UK. We have now an access code which gives freedom to roam almost anywhere, as long as this is done responsibly, with consideration for others and the land its self. In other words, "leave no trace" that you have been there. There are a few restrictions, to preserve the privacy of people who live in the Countryside and restricting you from interfering with the work of those , whose job involves working on the land, The main restrictions relate to having open fires, permission of the landowner should be saught before having an open fire. However you are not likely to have any hassle if you use a stove. Even a woodburning "hobbo" type, or spirit stove, or even a Gas stove. It tends to be expected that you only camp in one spot for two or three nights at a time in order to let the ground recover. There are plenty of books here to keep you on the right side of the LAW . Do not expect to carry a fixed bladed knife openly on your belt in public places, keep it in the bottom of your pack till you intend to use it. Also have a good excuse for carrying it, (not for defence) The laws in Scotland are different from England, and many people down south do not seem to appreciate this fact. You may even find that outdoor books may not include information as to how the law differs up here. If you look on the WEB. For Scottish Access laws, or "Freedom to Roam" you should be able to get fuller information than I can give you here. Best time of year to avoid the dreaded "midge" isbefore the end of May, or the beginning of June.. Even most Scots try to avoid the Summer especially. The West Coast when the "Midges are about". Early May is often the best time of year for good dry weather on the West coast, which has the nicest scenery and Wild Life, and plenty of isolation for Wild Camping, but supplies can be few and far between, as there is less population on the West side of the country. Hope that this is of benefit to you and that you enjoy your stay if you do come to Scotland. A great many Germans come to the West and North coast because of the lovely beaches and warm water in the sea due to the effect of the Gulf Stream. Best Wishes. Stuart.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
If you do come here, don't forget to visit Zeeland.:) That's the best part of the Netherlands, because you can eat sea-food, and most of the time you are allowed to have a fire on the beach. However don't come here because everything is forbidden in Germany, it is here too. You cannot:
Own a catapult
Have acces to an airgun under 18
Light a fire
Wild camp
Pick plants
Fish without a license
Hunt without a license
Go off a beaten track
Take dead branches away
Take live branches away
This list continues to about 2 times its current lengt.

What you are allowed to do is stay in your bed all day, but only if you're quiet!:)

You wanna go to Noord-Holland or Zuid-Holland?
If you go to Noord-Holland you could also visit the Waddeneilanden.

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
You can always go to the Scouts terrains, they are called "Labelterreinen". You can find them here: https://labelterreinen.scouting.nl/

In winter/early spring you can usually book a terrain without anyone else being there. Maybe the German scouts have something similar?

And as Jorn said: I think I would have less chance getting caught in Germany than in Holland!

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Everything in the UK is also illegal.
Just don't get caught, or say it is for charity and dig out a donation form.
And if that fails.....run.

Most Bushcraft is legal up here, even fires in certain contexts. We even teach it at mainstream schools (not just Forrest Schools).

90% of Scottish schools are within 1km from a Forrest/Woodland. - from a Scottish Government Report.

Last edited:

robotchicken80

Tenderfoot
Nov 12, 2012
Verden (Germany)
Hey! Merry Christmas first of all!! :)

Thanks for your great replies: there is a ton of info here. I really appreciate it.

Niels: I live in the Niedersachsen area (Lower Saxony) so I think that the northern part of Holland is closer to my place.
Thanks for the extra info about Scotland, looks like a nice place to visit in the future.
Also thanks a lot for the German Bushcraft web site link and the info on Sepp; I'll try to contact him.

Cheers!!
Toni

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE