Any clue to this Knifes origins ?

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
I found it as a child in a woods in hampshire always wondered where it came from. I will get round to fixing it up soon but No skills to speak of so not rushing

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
As you found it in the woods as a child, do you think it is possible that it could be something really old and maybe an important discovery ? As Bushwhacker Bob said it looks like a seax. May be worth showing it to an archaeologist or antique arms expert just in case ??
I am sure they would not laugh if it was made in Turkey in 1976.
Just an idea !

I found it as a child in a woods in hampshire always wondered where it came from. I will get round to fixing it up soon but No skills to speak of so not rushing

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Have you tried posting it on British Blades? Someone on there might be able to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Why Dont you email pictures to the British Museum with the story of how you find it ? It has to be worth a try!
I found a Bronze / Brass pot when digging the garden a few years ago that I thought was Roman, as there are Roman sites around here, they were very helpful, but thought it was probably from a Dolls House ?? Must of been a very big dolls house ! Here are a few pics of what I found.

DSCN2651_575.jpgDSCN2652_576.jpgDSCN2653_577.jpgDSCN2654_578.jpgDSCN2659_579.jpg

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
Well i've been given another clue to this knifes origins .

Mandau, also known as Parang, is the traditional weapon of the Dayak people of Borneo. Mandau is mostly ceremonial, however, a less elaborate version is used as an everyday practical tool.

Associated with the Headhunting Ceremony, where people would gather to attack other tribes, and gather heads to be used in various festivities, mandau is both a work of art in itself and a formidable weapon.

The blade is mostly made of tempered metals, with exquisite vineworks and inlaid brass. The hilt is made from animal horns, such as deer's horns, although some variations with human bones and fragrant wood also have been found. Both the hilt and scabbard are elaborately carved and plumed. Details of carvings vary from tribe to tribe, but mostly depict creatures or, if human bones were used, anthropomorphic deities.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE