Antler refurb.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I have now got a Roe deer set to go with my Red deer set I was gifted.But they are `I am my own taxidermist and I cant stuff.`trophyThe antlers still have velvet on mostly, and the skull bit has dried skin and hair.I imagine at one time they must have ponged!What to do? I can clean antler and bone...but the icky stuff is new to me.

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
I've seen people cook it clean first, or leave it in an anthill for a while, to be cleaned up.
Is cooking/boiling it for a while an option for you?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I am giving them a good soak for a few days; then a visit to the Fishing shop for some maggots...I will let you know how things go.That Red deer set I soaked in warm water and washing powder; but that was just greasy.Im going to mount them on matching boards; I put an old mahogany plank to good use. Then I will have a set each of Britains native deer.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Ant hill.
1: You make a settlement of ants happy
2: Better result than any boiling or chemistry.

If the skin is dry on the antlers I would soak it first. Easier for the ants.

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
I once left a beautiful, horned ram skull in an anthill, and it disappeared :-/ Either an animal took it or some person loved the scull as much as me... Still bugs me!
Someone is probably quoting Shakespeare somewhere, with my ram skull in one hand.

So you might have to put it in a box, with wire netting or some kind of opening in the box for the ants, and chain the box to a tree.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE