Another Wildflower ID Help Needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Struggling a little with this one

Near as I can get is Lousewort but I'm far from sure....

468612823_665f693f13.jpg

Anyone help me here?

Red

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
Red could be the Bush Vetch as the leaflets appear to be slightly alternate which the Readers Digest guide shows but vetches are not easy as there are quite a few.
hope this helps

Chas

bushtank

Nomad
Jan 9, 2007
king lynn
chas brookes said:
Red could be the Bush Vetch as the leaflets appear to be slightly alternate which the Readers Digest guide shows but vetches are not easy as there are quite a few.
hope this helps

Chas
Yep looks like bush vetch to me mate

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I find this this part of the pea family really hard to id but good feature for ID ing vetches and lathyrus is counting the amount of pairs leaves they produce on one branch. The piccy looks like there is about 7 pairs of leaves per branch which makes it a bush vetch. If it had about 12 pairs it would be a tufted vetch.

Jon pickett; I trust your flower ID :You_Rock_ .

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
:)

I'm rubbish at plants mate (and fungi...and birds). :eek:

Not too bad at trees and mammals though!

Thats what I love about nature - theres just so much to learn!

Red

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
xylaria said:
I find this this part of the pea family really hard to id but good feature for ID ing vetches and lathyrus is counting the amount of pairs leaves they produce on one branch. The piccy looks like there is about 7 pairs of leaves per branch which makes it a bush vetch. If it had about 12 pairs it would be a tufted vetch.

Jon pickett; I trust your flower ID :You_Rock_ .
Thank you, thats kind of you to say so, but I did get an id wrong on sunday, on my own thread...... :eek:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Only 1?

Must try harder Jon - I'm up to at least 5 now! At least two of which you have sorted so you have 1 in credit ;)

I love it when someone corrects my ID (or provides one) - its another "thing" I know and won't mistake again!

Hope I'm still learning in 30 years!

Red

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mistakes are great!! especially when they are your own mistakes. If you think of someone who thinks they never make mistakes they are always really irritatingly stupid. I have made some right spooners, like dogwood, alder, alder buckthorn, and blackthorn. But I did learn four shrubs for the price of one mistake. :twak:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
True, true, embarassment is a wonderful teacher :eek: :D

Alder buckthorn, ah now, there's one I could do with a help with.
It's commonly called purging bucktorn but the bark yields stunningly effective yellow dyes, and I can alter them to really good forest greens. It costs me £3.50 +p&p for 100g though :rolleyes: and I can't find it growing here anywhere except as plantings along the M8 (got stuck in a four hour traffic jam once)
Does anyone have it growing? Can I get a photo ? Any chance of getting a cutting? or if you're pruning can I have the bark/ twigs? Enough berries for a dyebath would be excellent.
I'll happily barter, plants stuff or leather and linen thread, and pay the p&p.

Cheers,
Toddy

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
There is stacks of it in a spot I visit once in a while Toddy, I'm reluctant to cut too much living wood but I can get you a few punnets of berries in the right season if that helps?

Red

471137264_67f318cdbc.jpg

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Toddy said:
True, true, embarassment is a wonderful teacher :eek: :D

Alder buckthorn, ah now, there's one I could do with a help with.
It's commonly called purging bucktorn but the bark yields stunningly effective yellow dyes, and I can alter them to really good forest greens. It costs me £3.50 +p&p for 100g though :rolleyes: and I can't find it growing here anywhere except as plantings along the M8 (got stuck in a four hour traffic jam once)
Does anyone have it growing? Can I get a photo ? Any chance of getting a cutting? or if you're pruning can I have the bark/ twigs? Enough berries for a dyebath would be excellent.
I'll happily barter, plants stuff or leather and linen thread, and pay the p&p.

Cheers,
Toddy
Toddy, we have loads of it growing in the forest, the friends of group like to encourage it because it attracts a certain type of butterfly who's name escapes me....I am up in the forest a fair bit at the mo, waiting for the nightjars to arrive, so I will get you some if you like....Will get you a photo next time I am there in the day time...
oops, see Red is already on the case......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE