Another way to make a leather loop

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I made some leather loops for a knife sheath and a leather pouch, and thought you might be interested.

It works very nicely, particularly on wet, veg tan leather because you can mould it and make it lie very flat. It works better on thinner leather.

DSC00752.jpg

DSC00754.jpg

DSC00755.jpg

DSC00756.jpg

DSC00757.jpg

DSC00758.jpg

On the last pic, you pass the loop through the slit in the leather strap. Then you can adjust the whole thing easily and I made mine lie really flat by squashing it down hard!

That what it looks like on the sheath.

DSCN0074-1.jpg

You can also combine it with a "mystery" 3 strand braid which is what I did on the pouch. I'll take a pic when I make another loop later on and post it.

I wish I could claim to have invented this, but I haven't :rolleyes: I found it some while back on the net, but can't remember where and I have lost all my book marks :( .

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Thats a top tip, thanks for that one I am always interested in new ways of leather working.
Nice sheath by the way.

Simon.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
That fastening reminds me of some sort of agricultural flail-joint, of the type shown in some old knot books.

Yup, it looks good JoJo, elements of Wildwood Wisdom.

Well, lets face it, anything that saves a bit of sewing, just has to be good!

Ceeg

climberslacker

Forager
Jan 14, 2008
USA
wow in the U.S. we say tip top as opposed to top tip, just wanted to say that. I love the stitching on the side! Amazing!

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Well, both "tip top" (very good) and "top tip" (a good piece of advice) are understood here. You could even say it was a "tip-top tip". ;)

Don't get me started, or well end up discussing the meaning of the Doric classic "fit fit fits fit fit?"

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Well, both "tip top" (very good) and "top tip" (a good piece of advice) are understood here. You could even say it was a "tip-top tip". ;)

Don't get me started, or well end up discussing the meaning of the Doric classic "fit fit fits fit fit?"

Anyone from Australia? In case there is another way to understood this??:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE