Another way of looking at fuel consumption

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
If your car didn't have a fuel tank but collected petrol as it went along in the form of a thin stream, at 30mpg how wide would that filament be?

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
How wide the filament would be is also dependent on how thick it is.

And I haven't the faintest idea on either

I'm assuming it is of circular cross section. Put it another way, if your car ran on fishing line instead of petrol, how thick would the line be?

Dunx

Apr 8, 2013
West Wales
If square and consumption was linear and the stream had a square cross section, i think it would be 0.009654 mm

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Y'know I read your posting Spandit the same way I used to read Maths exam questions which started off like: "A train leave Waterloo Station traveling at 42mph...." Before I even got to the end of the question I was already feeling dizzy.

Sorry, mate I have no idea. Total stab in the dark I'll go for 4½ acres per feet, squared.

What's the prize for this comp then? :naughty:

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
1 Imperial gallon = 4 546.09188 cubic centimeters
Volume of a cylinder = PI x radius x radius x height (or length)
length of cylinder = 30miles
30 miles = 4 828 032 centimetres
PI x r x r x 4828032 = 4 546.09188
solve for r
4546/pi/4828032= r x r

r = 0.0173 cm x 2 = 0.0346 cm diameter @ 30 mpg

I think.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
That's why automobile engineers invented fuel tanks 'cause even they couldn't work that out...:rolleyes:

Distance of fuel source from car engine X miles per gallon of said engine divided by the wieght of the vehicule X the speed/pressure of the liquid + the resisting wind speed - the number you first thought of = 2.25 cm. That's assuming of course that you're on level smooth ground.

In case you're thinking this may be an ingenious way of saving petrol................it ain't as you have to take evaporation into consideration.

Hope this helps.:)

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I could easily work it out, but why would anyone want to?

Now if you'd said the exhaust pipe dispensed pennies instead of CO2 and water...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE