(Another) hand drill help needed topic

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zealot

Do we have any hand drill experts out there?
I’m sure you get this all the time on here, but I’m looking for some help with this technique. I’m actually one of those annoying people who managed it first time (I don’t count the initial tuition I received as I hadn’t even picked up the bow drill at that point. But as soon as I had a go after that – boom! Ember!). The problem is I have only managed three embers in the last six months. Each time it has been with a bought kit, and the hole has been burnt in for me. So I’m making the assumption that the issue has to do with the way I’m burning the hole in (and possibly my materials).

Anyone in my area want to earn themselves a beer (or two) by showing me how this is done? I’m using elder drills on clematis hearths (although I have a suspicion that the clematis I collect is too soft).

matthewpearce

Jan 31, 2011
Andover
Hey bud , i've been trying to to do this for a week and finally got an ember last night, mine was a problem of pacing myself as i kept running out of steam, I have been usinf a piece of burdock tied to a length of hazel on a clematis hearth. If you haven't found him yet there is a bloke called dale from learn bushcraft who is pretty amazing at the hand drill he showed me how to do it at the wilderness gathering last year you can find him on youtube. I also found an article http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/content.php?r=271-Hand-Drill-for-Beginners. I used the method of with the string at the top and just done it while watching tv, next thing there is loads of smoke and I almost burnt a hole in the carpet. hope this helps :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE