Another carcass skinned

Skinned another sofa, no change down the back of it though.
579d093a6903ed839b18b9ecef68f10f.jpg

The wood will be for the Cubs campfire and the leather will be kit bags, rucksacks and pouches. Anyone want one!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have an "Arrangement" with our local recycling centre - I got a pair of embossed tripod stool covers, two old leather satchels and a small piece of upholstery leather for a swap of a used Buff yesterday.... but that was about 3 months worth of leather!
I also have Charity Shops save leather coats and bags that are too damaged to sell (broken zips, split seams etc) and I take them away for a donation...
Friends have given me sofas before - on the proviso that I take everything and the remains are mine to take to the tip!

There is leather out there if you look hard :)

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
I have made several bags and other stuff from Sofa's.
I carry a Stanley Blade with be at all times just in case i spot one having a nap somewhere then i go in for the kill.

My next project will be a Leather water carrier, i'll use the shiny side on the inside of the carrier, stitch it and pine pitch seal it, though i'm not sure how the water will taste after years of people farting on the leather and i'm sure the leather has been treated with chemicals at some stage.
Maybe not a great idea, but i'll give it a go as i'm confident i can boil the fartiness out of the water at camp.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
I have made several bags and other stuff from Sofa's.
I carry a Stanley Blade with be at all times just in case i spot one having a nap somewhere then i go in for the kill.

My next project will be a Leather water carrier, i'll use the shiny side on the inside of the carrier, stitch it and pine pitch seal it, though i'm not sure how the water will taste after years of people farting on the leather and i'm sure the leather has been treated with chemicals at some stage.
Maybe not a great idea, but i'll give it a go as i'm confident i can boil the fartiness out of the water at camp.

I would be careful with that. We had some chrome-tan sealskin which we were going to use to carry water and drink from whilst on a stone-age sailing trip. We called the tannery and they screamed straight away don't drink from it you'll die! so we ended up using veg tan moose skin instead. I think some upholstery leather would be chrome/alum tan?

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
I would be careful with that. We had some chrome-tan sealskin which we were going to use to carry water and drink from whilst on a stone-age sailing trip. We called the tannery and they screamed straight away don't drink from it you'll die! so we ended up using veg tan moose skin instead. I think some upholstery leather would be chrome/alum tan?
Cheers for the heads up..I knew they used chemicals when tanning just didn't know what kind. Dodged a bullet there me thinks. Thanks, i scrap that idea for now until i get my hands on a fresh deer skin.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE