Another Aldi heads up

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Was in my local Aldi today and they seem to have had a delivery of camping kit - clothing, headtorches, boots, cooksets, tents, first aid stuff, hygeine, etc.

I didn't buy any of it as there was nothing I needed, and it won't be the greatest kit, but there might be a few reasonable items in there, especially for a beginner or someone on a tight budget.

Worth a look anyway. No affiliation etc...

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
The pans and the dry bags are good, we had some of those last year. Bought a bed today, for family camping, so impressed with it, I have to get back soon for another one!

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
I bought 4 of the dry bags today , good quality bags .

We have a rib that i have been doing up , we are planning to go camping on some islands off the west coast of Scotland this summer with the kids .
they will come in very handy for our sleeping bags and clothes .

Craig..........

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The Crane dry bags are great value, I bought a couple a few years ago and I'm still on my first one with two in reserve. I use mine for day paddling trips which gets chucked about on beaches and woodland and still shows no sign of failing. It's softened up quite a bit now especially at the top where it gets rolled down, the softness isn't an issue though and I think actually helps to stuff it under a thwart sometimes.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
The dry bags seemed awfully heavy to me so I passed them over.

However I did buy one of their 2.99 headtorches - nice wee thing. No angle adjustment on the bracket, but you can reposition it on your head to get the adjustment you need. Also got one of their compasses. I took two of them and whirled around the supermarket like a dervish. They were perfectly synchronised which was good enough for me, so I bought one. Also got a nice magnifier for cheap. Could be used as a fire starter, but I mostly got it for the little ones to look at bugs.

Just as I was writing this - I noticed that my headtorch has one LED still illuminated despite being turned off! It's duff. I think I'll swap it rather than ask for refund though - hopefully just a dud and the next one will be good.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire

TFan

Tenderfoot
Nov 3, 2010
Buckinghamshire
Does anyone know how good the camp beds are? Whilst I'm sure they're not going to be the quality of the military version on which they're based, is my £20 going to be well spent or wasted?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I called in today on my way past ..

The beds looked okay, very big and heavy but should be fine for car camping (if you've got an estate)
The ally pots were nothing special I thought, quite heavy for what they are and no lids either
I saw pop-up tents but didn't pay much attention to those

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Everything I Have bought so far from Aldi and Lidl has been at least fair quality and a lot of it has been pretty good quality. I have to be honest though that I probably would not ever be in the market for top of the range stuff anyway. I picked up a compass today and was tempted by the dry bag but decided they were to big for me and my set up. I would be interested to know what the camping/hiking & Bushcraft community think of stuff supplied by these guys?

TFan

Tenderfoot
Nov 3, 2010
Buckinghamshire
I bought two of the campbeds last week. One lasted Friday night but one bar bent when I sat on it on Saturday. I don't think this is necessarily a reflection on the quality but more one my size and clumsiness. If you are a larger chap or chapess take care when sitting on the bed and be sure to place your backside in the middle of the bed and not near or on the edge. I repaired the bed by lashing a stout stick to the bar.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE