Animal Traps/Hunting & Puncturing of Alimentary Canal/Juices thus Spoilage?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ChrisM

Jan 8, 2009
Surrey (but may move in 2009)
Hi All,

Hope you're all OK!?

May I please ask a question of those genuinely experienced in the use of various Animal traps and/or Shooting/Bow-Hunting, and condition and use of the animals caught thereby?

When field dressing an animal, we tend to avoid puncturing the alimentary canal to avoid spilling digestive juices on the meat, and thus spoilage.

I have yet to use traps in 'anger', so to speak (though without the anger! ; ) ). For traps that employ crushing, and/or spears/projectiles, and/or for means of hunting that employ sharp or projectile weapons, such as arrows/bullets, has it been your experience that the alimentary canal, and thus digestive juices, are released, thus leading to spoilage, or not?

What are the procedures if you come upon a trapped/speared animal, or if you have shot/speared an animal, and have crushed or punctured it's alimentary canal and spilled the juices, please?

Definitive replies, rather than speculative/gossipy replies, would be most welcome!

Many Thanks,

Best Wishes to you all!

Chris.

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
From experience in air rifle only I can assure you that I would not be taking any shot other than one aimed at being a quick kill (head shot). This obviously does not lead to spoilage of the meat (this would normally happen when skinning and being a little more overzealous)

I would also state that bow hunting in the UK is illegal as far as I am aware (although I am happy to be corrected on this point)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
As a bow hunter I casn say that the possibility is as remote with big game as it would be with a rifle (you have the same target areas for your arrows as for a bullet; the heart and lungs) for small game, it's even more remote as the arrows used are blunts and don't actually penetrate.

ChrisM

Jan 8, 2009
Surrey (but may move in 2009)
Hi Guys,

Yes, with regards to your replies so far, clearly if we are using a projectile method of hunting such as rifle or bow then we are aiming, intending, to avoid the abdominal region of birds and mammals, so I do apologise but that was an inherent assumption of the original question.

My question here relates instead specifically to the following, especially if viewed from a survival situation and/or from serious need to use the animal(s) and parts-thereof, which could be in the UK or anywhere world-wide:

1) Unintentional hitting of the alimentary canal and releasing of digestive juices, for whatever reasons;

2) Use of dead-fall traps, or other crushing methods of trapping (e.g. for squirrels), where there is a risk of rupturing the internal organs as a result of the crushing method of despatch;

3) Use of spear traps/snares, spiked traps, or other jungle-like (predator-like) traps/snares, where the animal may be speared/skewered, but the action has released digestive juices similarly.

This question does not revolve around legality or illegality here, which are made-up notions, but relates to the viability for use and/or edibility using such methods of trapping/snaring/hunting.

So referrring to my original question, and perhaps to world-wide experience with such traps/snares/methods, what are your thoughts please?

Many Thanks!

Chris

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Hi Guys,

Yes, with regards to your replies so far, clearly if we are using a projectile method of hunting such as rifle or bow then we are aiming, intending, to avoid the abdominal region of birds and mammals...

...This question does not revolve around legality or illegality here, which are made-up notions, but relates to the viability for use and/or edibility using such methods of trapping/snaring/hunting.

So referrring to my original question, and perhaps to world-wide experience with such traps/snares/methods, what are your thoughts please?

Many Thanks!

Chris

Firstly, when deliberately hunting for "birds" in a normal situation (and often for deer over here) the weapon of choice is a shotgun, so the scattered pattern makes if impossible to aim away from a given area, particularly as regards birds in flight (the only way they're normally shot) Punture of glands and organs is not usually a problem but in cases where it is, simply cut away the affected meat.

Secondly, when hunting or trapping (by any means) in a survival situation again, simply cut away any affected meat (if indeed there is any)

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
gut it asap and wash if you can.

^^ Good advice.

Having prepared a few roe deer that were hit by cars, homekilling lambs/pigs and preparing all types of british game I reckon that is the best advice. Some of the roe were hit so hard the stomach and gut ruptured and the contents seem to spread around the whole carcasse underneath the skin - one of them was so bad I could only salvage the neck and lower back legs, the remainder went to the dogs.

Theres some conflicting advice regarding when to gut hares and rabbits - rabbits are gutted ASAP but hares are left to hang for a few days with guts in and are perfectly edible (delicious!). If you've ever prepared a shot hare thats been hung for a week the gut contents can be a bloody mess.

In a 'survival situation' I wouldn't be so fussy - just give it a few more minutes on the BBQ, any gut contents will be burnt off sharpish.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i guess the same question would fit against people taking road kills since its a massive blunt force trauma and im sure gut punctures do occur. The old addage of following your nose is put at use but i think in the true context of the situation you would be doing the trapping i.e. a survival situation the need for the meat would take priority over the spoilage i.e. flavour if you boil it up well etc the meat should be safe although it may not taste so good and yet other animals gut parts we eat i think its more about the flavour when hunting as opposed to gaining meat to stay alive?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE