Settler
Oct 25, 2009
ITALY (ALPS)
Hi all,
today after a brief (damn job!) walking here

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
I was cleaning up my garden, and as usual I found this little fellow

his name (as per Linnaeus) is Anguis fragilis, I just call him Beppe :)

also if seems a snake, is'nt a snake...infact is a lizard. Legs were "lost" during his evolution.
This little fellow is probably now hunting again worms and similar, if you find another sample please don't kill him, is not venomous at all, it's usefull to control insects proliferations, and could live over 50 years according to recent studies.
Hope jou enjoi,
ciao from Italy
Alfredo

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Slow worms. Delightful creatures.

I couldn't agree more...

...this one was rescued from a water wheel leet not long after the hatches were opened - lucky slow worm! He was very, very cold!

slwm1.jpg

slwm2.jpg

All warmed up following his dunking and they do look best in their proper place ;)

slwm3.jpg

Alfredo

Settler
Oct 25, 2009
ITALY (ALPS)
Better change the name to Bepette, Alfredo, that's a lady-lizard you are fondling :D

:lmao: it was EXACTELY what I though few hours ago, when I discovered that the black line on the top is typical of females :You_Rock_ ...ok let's name HER Bepette, as kindly suggested from JonathanD goodjob

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
:lmao: it was EXACTELY what I though few hours ago, when I discovered that the black line on the top is typical of females :You_Rock_ ...ok let's name HER Bepette, as kindly suggested from JonathanD goodjob

Excellent :beerchug:

What other reptiles do you get in your area?

Alfredo

Settler
Oct 25, 2009
ITALY (ALPS)
Excellent :beerchug:

What other reptiles do you get in your area?

From these most easy to see to the most rares:
- lucertola comune (wall lizard)
- rana comune (frog)
- rospo comune (toad)

- orbettino (slow worm)
- salamandra pezzata (alpine salamander, at least I guess it's the correct name)
- biscia comune e biscia dal collare (grass snake)

- vipera comune (viper, adder)

- vipera cornuta (very rare, it's present just in two small areas on north italy)
I post a pic of this last type of Vipera, the others reptiles are really common:

Ciao!
Alfredo

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I was in Italy on a field trip in 2007 looking for the Nose-Horned Viper. The populations seem to be shrinking in recent years which is a damned shame as it is a beautiful little snake. I used to have a captive bred pair many years ago and they were my favourite snakes. Great characters. You get some really nice variants too.

Thanks for sharing.

Alfredo

Settler
Oct 25, 2009
ITALY (ALPS)
I was in Italy on a field trip in 2007 looking for the Nose-Horned Viper. The populations seem to be shrinking in recent years which is a damned shame as it is a beautiful little snake. I used to have a captive bred pair many years ago and they were my favourite snakes. Great characters. You get some really nice variants too.

Thanks for sharing.

There are still some Nose-horned Vipers in two small areas, both in North-Italy...anyway they are rares...you're right it's a shame.
What about vipers in UK? Easy to find, or not at all?

paolo

Life Member
Dec 30, 2009
Veneto, Northeastern Italy
I was in Italy on a field trip in 2007 looking for the Nose-Horned Viper. The populations seem to be shrinking in recent years which is a damned shame as it is a beautiful little snake.

I have seen the Ammodytes only once, when walking through Valcellina and Vajont valley in Friuli Venezia Giulia.
It's really a beautiful snake.

It's a funny coincidence that in these days I'm receiving spam from some "Carpat Investments group" that sells horned vipers powdered venom :)

paolo

Life Member
Dec 30, 2009
Veneto, Northeastern Italy
Hi all,
This little fellow is probably now hunting again worms and similar, if you find another sample please don't kill him, is not venomous at all, it's usefull to control insects proliferations, and could live over 50 years according to recent

Yes, you're right, it's really easy to find them killed by people that think they're vipers.

Very nice pics Alfredo, thanks for sharing!!

If anyone is interested I can add that here in Italy the common name for this lizard is "Orbettino"

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
There are still some Nose-horned Vipers in two small areas, both in North-Italy...anyway they are rares...you're right it's a shame.
What about vipers in UK? Easy to find, or not at all?

I can find them very easily, but then it is my job so have had many years to get my 'eye-in'.

DSCF0124a.jpg

DSC04324.jpg

ghrwge.jpg

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Wow, great pics! Are you a biologist? Me, yes, I'm.
PS how about Craghoppers Bear Grylls pants? I have the same model, just sand/black: awesome trousers!

I'm a herpetologist. Yeah, they are BG pants. He doesn't get great press here in the UK, but the trousers are the best I've had for this kind of work. Very free movement and light. They are now available in green too. Has to be said, they are my favourite outdoor trousers.

Alfredo

Settler
Oct 25, 2009
ITALY (ALPS)
I'm a herpetologist. Yeah, they are BG pants. He doesn't get great press here in the UK, but the trousers are the best I've had for this kind of work. Very free movement and light. They are now available in green too. Has to be said, they are my favourite outdoor trousers.

Well, they are becoming my favourite too, with my Marmot pants (mor expensives instead).

Bear Grylls is well considered there in UK, or not?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Well, they are becoming my favourite too, with my Marmot pants (mor expensives instead).

Bear Grylls is well considered there in UK, or not?

His programmes are considered silly over here within the bushcraft community (just do a search on hereto see). They are popular though.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Wonderful creatures. Here's one of the juveniles we saw on Saturday. Amazing colours.

In Swedish they are called "copper-lizard" (used to be "copper-snake", but the biologists are slowly winning).

Up here we only get Vipera berus AFAICT, but we do have Natrix natrix and Anguis fragilis out by the coast, so with global warming we may get these here as well eventually.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE