Angry Bird spooncup

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
When I started this piece of carving I was aiming for a serving spoon!
The wood had different goals and developed many cracks as I worked.The handle went first ; from around 8" to less than an inch overnight and then the bowl itself cracked between heart and sap.
It had become a challenge by then so I carried on and this came out of the piece I had left.I am not going to sand it as it is still cracked and will never hold water.
I did particularly like the "wing" , which just appeared as I removed wood , so was determined to keep it.
This was carved with a Mora 120 and a Mora crookknife only.

IMG_0290.jpgIMG_0293.jpgIMG_0295.jpg

The little spoon is about teaspoon size for scale.
My next project will be done with my new spoon blades from Nic which are awaiting handles.
Cheers , Simon

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
Looks like a good save Simon, would make a decent scoop. Will be interested to see what you can do with a good spoon knife :)

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I have one blade handled up now nic in a piece of antler and
picked out a nice piece of Yew for the other so soon.
Cheers , Simon

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
Seconded, good save! Is it birch?
I also agree with the scoop idea, interesting what one can achieve with the Mora spoon knives I don't hear too many good things about.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
It's either Hawthorn or Blackthorn Androo.
Just saw a pile about to be burnt and the guy let me have a couple of bits.
It's very tough and prone to splitting but nice colour and contrast between sap and heart.
I find my straight Moras great for carving but that ambidextrous spoonie keeps biting me
and I resent sharpening it to help it hurt me!!
I now have two spoon blades courtesy of nic Westermann (below) which I think will help.
They are very beautiful and fiercely sharp so I'm hoping that will raise my standard.
Hoodoo , I don't think my carved bits qualify for the term design ; more like evolution.
Cheers , Simon

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
Really nice work on that. I find once ya get the Mora crooks with a decent edge for the money they are alright tools. The straight blades agreed are awesome carvers.

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
Ah, cool. I often pass a very old Hawthorn hedgerow which has a variety of seasoned lengths just begging to be made into funky shaped spoons (etc) but I need to get me some decent spoonies first! And proper sharpening equipment, and some lessons!...
Nic's work does look extremely beautiful, both his forging and carving! - I think I may plump for some Orford spoonies.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Ben's knives are top quality too.
I have a small carving knife from Ben which is one of my favourite knives.
I have one of my spoonies in a bit of antler but not yet finished so I wont post it yet.
It does cut wood like butter though.
Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE