Anglo Saxon Spears and arrows

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
My dissertation is going haywire. Google scholar is not helping much with my query. but some of you might know.

The Anglo Saxon Spear, and how far it could be thrown. (assuming its not a dedicated javelin, -though they had them.)

Also Anglo Saxon arrows, weights and ranges.

Phew!

Since this is for my impact testing (I have axes and will use a machete in place of the scramaseax) I need examples of these things.

I would like to borrow a spear (or buy, see what turns up) and I do need arrows. Has anyone anything suitable.

(I will add, Viking would be completley acceptable)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have to ask....why would they want to throw their spear ? it's a close quarters/ melée weapon. If he's thrown it away he's unarmed, iimmc ?

Anyway, local re-enactment group is probably your best bet. I think the Morvleydh is down your way.
http://morvleydh.co.uk/index.html

Best of luck with it :)

M

p.s. Beaten to it by Hamish. Link added.

Reactions: shaggystu

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Thank you. I will get in contact with them.

I want a generic spear to thrust with. more common, I feel.

Interestingly Riddle 23 in the Book of Exeter is about a bow

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Try messaging Tod of Todstuff - he has a youtube channel. Mostly about crossbows, but covers other medieval and earlier stuff. Doesn't just talk about gear, he builds and tests it.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Weapons were not standardised in the past, so you might get a huge range in the variables you request.

Arrows were more standardised, I beleve supplied by the local lord the archer served. Made in the thousands and kept at the local stronghold.
Or is that after the Normand liberation?

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
There's a guy on YouTube with the handle Lindybeige who has some interesting history and historic weapon vids. You may find something there?
Yes check on that channel and a few others and you will find a wealth of information about historical arms and armour. Roland Warzecha is worth a look as well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE