Angelica, or something else?

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Came across a big patch of some very large unbellifers at an archeological site this evening. Didn't recognise the plant, so I took some pics. The biggest plant that I saw was at least 10 feet tall.

Now I know it isn't giant hogweed (lots of that around, and it looks nothing like these), and based on size alone then Angelica is a candidate, but I'm not yet convinced. Have a look at the pics please and see if you can tell me what this is.

The whole plant. Very silvery-looking stems on the lower part of the plant. I didn't check to see if this is a down that can be brushed off.
IMGP1675.jpg

The leaves
IMGP1677.jpg

The flowers had mainly gone over
IMGP1680.jpg

The stems were blotched with purple, especially near the stem junctions. Stems got greener as you went up the plant.
IMGP1678.jpg IMGP1679.jpg

I really don't know what it is (my thought in the field was wild parsnip, but I'm now fairly sure it isn't that) so all help would be appreciated.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Looking it up in my other plant book, the one I use less frequently, I'm becoming convinced that they are hemlock.

Interesting to find a plant I haven't seen before, but disappointing in that initially I though I'd found a great patch of something edible. Oh well...

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Interesting to find a plant I haven't seen before...

It's very common where I come from. And believe it or not, Hemlock has been used as a food plant in Britain. It is said that either the plants in England aren't as toxic as those elsewhere, or that cooking them destroys the toxins. Plants For a Future give it one star for edibility, rather than zero.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Interesting, Geoff. Possibly.

My book says Rough Chervil has hairy stems, and hemlock is hariless. Hemlock has leaves very finely cut. Also my book doesn't give rough chervil as growing to 2m+ height.

I'm still going with Hemlock, as the picture of the stem (the one on the left) shows no signs of hairs, but I accept that Rough Chervil is a possibility.

Thanks for all the input to everyone so far.

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Im going with hemlock, try crushing the stem and leaves.... Stinking of peee?

Sent from my HTC Explorer using Tapatalk 2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE