and down came the rain

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i went for a little walk today, as i do most days, from my house to my mums. it's somwhere between 2 and 10 miles depending on which way i walk, which in turn always depends what the weather is doing. anyway today i set off about lunch time as i usually do and the weather looked really nice again so i thought i'd go a long way round and visit some old pit ponds where my grandad used to take me as a kid and that i'd not been to for a couple of years. had a lovely day walking along in the sunshine eating blackberries that grow all along the route i was taking and was feeling nicely content to reach the ponds, sit down, and watch the fisherman for a while when all of a sudden the heavens opened, and i mean really really opened, it absolutely lashed it down for about half an hour, and it was great. i was sitting just back in the little area of woodland that runs down to the ponds with really dense tree cover keeping me perfectly dry, and watched all the fishermen hunker down inside their NCB donkey jackets and muttering about the "bloody weather" (i couldn't hear any of them muttering of course, they were too far away, i just understand old men in donkey jackets!) as they watched the rain slowly make the job of watching their floats a little more difficult. perfect opportunity i thought to find a few twigs and get a little fire going to make a brew, after all the countryside rangers would be hiding in their landrovers so i was a little less likely to get caught! anyway, i just kicked back and relaxed for an hour or so, had a brew, watched the rain on the water and felt as contented with the world as i have done for a long long time and i just wanted to share it with people who i thought might understand.
thanks for listening, sorry if i bored you all with my inane ramblings!

stuart

p.s. if the terms NCB or donkey jacket confuse you then you're obviously an american or other alien, ask nicely and i'm sure someone can enlighten you!

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
:shock: Guess I'm one of them American or other aliens. Heck, I'm both. :wave:

Sounds like a great day to me. I can't wait for the wet stuff to start falling in our area. We've been in a drought for quite a few years now so it's getting very dry and being able to cook up some coffee or tea to drink in a downpour while I'm dry as toast is something I look forward to every year.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
OK,
I'll add my story!
Last Monday out with my best friend setting a hash, she's from Nottingham and dosn't know the paths round here so I offered to take her a suitably devious, challanging route (start with 600ft of climb in the first mile and a half or so through muddy fields and lots of false trails, the one through the knee deep cow s**H caught a few!, and you get the picture). Anyway nice and sunny when we set out so both in T shirt and shorts get up to about 950ft look back the way we came and think 'hope that storm isn't coming this way'. Two minutes later we know it is as the first drops fall. Five minutes later we've just passed the trig point at about 1000ft and the monsoon rain is coming down in buckets so decide to hide under a tree and put waterproof on though it dosn't make any difference . Five minutes later we are up to our ankles in water as the path pretends its a river and we are hearing the thunder at the same time we see the lightening :lightning :lightning :lightning :lightning :lightning :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: Time to head down hill fast following the fast flowing stream that I'm sure has been a path every other time I've followed it in the 39 years I've lived here. Back down the road as the quickest way back to a mug of tea and the road is pretending to be a river as well. I'm sure water is meant to go down the drains and not erupt out of them, I suppose it just got confused. Fortunatly I live on top of a little hill in the middle of town so it'd take somthing of biblical proportions to flood us but loads of houses seamed to be getting new water features just inside the front door.
Back home soaking wet and lovely lovely lovely SWMBO :angel: had towels waiting on the radiator and the kettle on the rayburn ready for us.
An absolutly brilliant afternoons fun :) :) :)
Cheers
David

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE