an outwell camping fridge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Another site bin find.

But I cannot test the thing as it has no power leads.

is it worth sourcing a lead; has two, -the car one and the mains.

Though heavy it looks a handy bit of kit.

(Says she who manages well enough without...)

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
If you know someone that has similar fridge, see if you can borrow a cable.
Or try eBay, I’ve found replacement cables for laptops and remote controlled hovercraft on there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Wondering why it's been dumped if it's still working ok. Might be an idea to get it pat tested by an electrician.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Thats the thing about such items.

They may well work.

It takes a standard two pin mains lead; like in the old kettles? Im sure I have one of those about.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Even if it doesnt work electrically it's still a usefull item for either using with the old fashioned ice blocks or as some sort of storage for other items.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
With respect, your question suggests you're not fully confident with electricity. For all you know the unit could have been dumped because it was shorting on the mains input. You really ought to get it checked by someone that knows what they are doing.

However, before you run it off your inverter, check the power consumption of the cooler (it will say 'X watts' somewhere on a label) and check your inverter output. Coolers aren't usually very high so, unless your inverter is small, it should be OK.

I believe the Outwell coolers run off a Peltier device so there's not a lot can go wrong with them (no pumps or motors etc.) so, if it's not working, it's probably the power input. If it works off 12v but not mains it will be the mains PSU unit; if it doesn't work of either it will be the DC power driver. The other areas to look at are the switch and the thermostat. Unfortunately, by the time you've paid someone to fix it, it will probably cost more than a new unit.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
IMHO it's got to be worth a punt for the cable, if it is dead you can always sell the cable on. As Broch said there's not a lot to go wrong. If anything it could of been tossed simply because the owner was unhappy with the amount of battery juice it used.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
You have a point. if it does work it will be well worth it.

These things are over £100 new, arent they?

it would be handy as a cool box, Woody girl; but its a dratted heavy thing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE