An antler axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
A simple antler (spike)axe.

The cutting edge is to the left. The antler is red deer and very much inferior to elk and reindeer. Still, this axe, or maybe hatchet, is very servicable. An excellent tool for chopping small trees.

antleraxe.JPG

Please excuse the boring background and the toes. :D

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
don´t worry, the toes are ok - well it´s the socks and the jeans that for sure don´t fit the image :D

nice axe btw. :cool: - other than my stone age axe you don´t need to attach a handle. This again shows the design quality of mother nature

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
Torjusg...how do you make it i.e. get the cutting edge and how often do you have to sharpen it/how quickly does it wear out? :)

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Thanks guys

The edge was achieved by scoring around the antler into the soft core. After being broken off I sharpened the edge on an abrasive rock. I rarely sharpen it. It dulls from sharp to "dullish" rather quickly, but from there it is much slower. Instead of using a lot of time on sharpening the edge, I keep it dullish until it becomes too dull. Then I sharpen it all the way up. It was made two monts ago and it has only been sharpened properly twice. Have used it every weekend. It also works fairly well on dry wood as well.

When the edge has been used up I will reuse the handle for a tranchet axe.

PS! The spike will soon come off. It is annoying when using the axe.

Reactions: Montivagus

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
Great! That is new to me..I like learning new stuff. :D Spike looks like it could be at a better angle....you could leave a bit of it though?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Leaving a bit of the spike may be worthwhile in order to hook over a branch that is just out of reach and pull it down to within reach, that is where the best fruit always grows!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE