An afternoon with Mark Constable

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
I saw a post on here about Mark Constable and his bucket forges so I dropped him an email to ask more about it. We exchanged quite a few emails over the next few weeks and discovered that both he and I have the same interest when it comes to bladesmithing, woodworking tools. We both love the simplicity of the sloyd and the overall style of the scandinavian. One big plus is that he's not a million miles away, in East Yorkshire so there wasn't a massive expense and 8hrs travelling involved.

He said he wasn't keen on doing group courses as he feels that it's too hard to get everyone together at the right time ect. ect. and he never covers the amount he wants too, there just isn't time. So he asked if I would be up to a bit of one-on-one.

So that's what we did.

We decided that what was really important to cover was the main techniques involved with bladesmithing so it was agreed that there was no need to end up with a finished knife by the end of the day. I was more than happy with this, after all you can read about tempering on the internet, you can experience how to to hit the steel or how it feels using tongs.

With a seemingly endless supply of tea and a bacon butty Mark and I talked about the techniques first, then I would watch him put those into action and then I would have a go. This worked well for me because I'm a see-do kinda guy. I had so much info to take in that it's still in my head so excuse me if I can't give you a full blow-by-blow of what we did. But essentially Mark armed me with all the technique I would need to solve pretty much anything that would and can go wrong with making a stick tang knife.

So, to cut a long story short, forged a blank on the bucket charcoal forge and then another on the little gas forge, with a lot of discussion about what we were doing while we were doing it.

So! Onto the pictures. These are, as I said straight from the anvil so need cleaning up, bevelling then tempering and hardening. So don't expect nothing too beautiful!

from top: my charcoal forged. 2. my gas forged. 3. Mark's gassed. 4. Little hook knife by Mark (just because I asked how to shape them should I ever make one)

8518f6485b9fb2dce00608baebabcf73_full.jpg

Spine profiles. First one

ff8732840a0d50e2b8694c64d1d4d6db_view.jpg

Spine profiles. second one
f1714f5d6a771029e08be9a47d4a5c04_view.jpg

Spine profiles. Mark's
ebb14a7a604df486e42ff93d153630ea_view.jpg

For scale, my hand.
c126e7e342243f6161d4f24508db3839_view.jpg

Well there you go. A big thumbs up from me. Marks philosophy is based around less is more and I'm all about that. It's amazing what you can do with a bit of heat and not much else. I can't wait to get started again.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
looks like you had a great time bud.
take care.
are you going to but bevels on the these, would like to see how the hook knife performs mate.

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
Thanks Lee, yeah there's still loads of work to do on these. A bit of tidying up then the bevel, then tempering and hardening. When Mark showed me how how to bend the hook both he and I didn't realise that the result was a leftie! So I doubt I'll be able to use it really :D still, I'll sharpen it up like the rest

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Nice work Steve, good fun isnt it. I met Mark recently and he seemed a top chap.
I must get round to making a bucket forge.

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
Cheers addo, it certainly is. I'm just trying to pull together some materials so I can put a wee forge together. I didn't think to ask Mark if I could buy one of his while I was there. Either way he's been in touch with notes about the process and some plans for jiggs and stuff, plus options for how to chuck a forge together and what to use.

Truly a chap that likes to share.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE