An afternoon at the pond

I rode up to Davis pond earlier today to try out the new camera and and do more field testing on knives.

Davis pond, had some ice on it still

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

I've been sent a few new knives to try out by Morgan Taylor of Taylor brands. They are three new models of Smith and Wesson knives; SW4 a drop point, SW5 a tanto point, and an SW6 a recurve.

PICT0071.jpg

Today I took the Schrade E.S. and the new recurve out for a walk as I am very familiar with both drop and tanto points but a bit new to smaller recurved blades.

IMG_0107.jpg

Here is the piece of wood I am going to split, the knife, and the other piece of hardwood and going to baton with
IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg

Part of the time there was hardly more than a half inch of the blade tip sticking out for me to strike

IMG_0100.jpg

The finished pieces ready for use as kindling, or with a littlle more splitting and whittling to be made into tools or eating utensils, or one could use fashion a fire board.

IMG_0101.jpg

and this knife held up to the task really well.

IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

And I used the spine as a striker to crack some Black Walnuts. They are particularly good this year, I wish I had brought more of them home with me.

IMG_0091.jpg

I happen to love this recurve edge as it makes quick work of cutting points and cordage.

IMG_0092.jpg

And and the end of the afternoon out I got a pretty good picture of the moon coming up on my way back out. I'm really liking this camera, but I still have a good bit of reading to do on it.

CopyofIMG_0116.jpg

lostagain

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2008
Windermere
Great pictures (what camera are you using by the way).

Nice looking knives, the oooh i want one gremlin in my head kicked in for a while but then the sensible part took over saying I've already got a good enough knife and out of curiosity, would the curve of the blade make it a pain to keep sharp?

Great pictures (what camera are you using by the way).

Nice looking knives, the oooh i want one gremlin in my head kicked in for a while but then the sensible part took over saying I've already got a good enough knife and out of curiosity, would the curve of the blade make it a pain to keep sharp?

The new camera is a Canon A590 IS. I really like it because it takes great pictures but I can also put different converter lenses on it for telephoto and wide angle shots too. I am taking the family out to town today and I'll try out the video funtion.

The recurve may well be a pain for resharpening I haven't gotten that far yet. I think a diamond or ceramic rod will do the trick just fine. But when it comes to cutting cordage, whittling points, and stripping bark for cordage or what not it works REALLY well. I think it will be a good everyday user plus, with it being a smaller knife it's not a bad one to have along as a back-up in a pack on a long term situation.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
The knife looks like it performed impressively, but it is blooming ugly. The sort of thing the local chavs round my way would be carrying.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Just currious, because of the color...shape...both?

Both for me. Its the sort of knife I probably would have liked the look of when I was younger, but now I think my tastes have changed with age and I don't like the tactical looking knifes at all. This is the sort of thing I like now:

sbt056642yt6.jpg

Me097.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE