american crayfish locations scotland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.......Lots of crayfish in most lakes in western Canada, but whatever the species, they go maybe 71/90 in size.
The larger problem is that mercury-based fungicide has been used as a planting treatment for wheat seed.
Given the crop size for the past century+, that has been a huge amount of fungicide......

I can't say for sure but I expect the same's true here as well. The biggest difference would likely be the particular crop. Most (is not all) of the commercially harvested crawfish down here are harvested from the rice fields. First they drain the field and harvest the rice with a combine; then they re-flood it and let the crawfish fatten on the dropped rice before harvesting them.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
santaman: we will never have any sort of commercial harvest.
My kids and I would wade the shallows at night with spotlights and pick them off the submerged rocks like cherries.
But, those days are over. I regret that in this thread as a reminded of what used to be.
I suppose a feed or two per year might be OK but once a week is out.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
santaman: we will never have any sort of commercial harvest.....

Nor will we. The only such harvest I know of is around the Louisiana rice farms. We can buy their crawfish though; they come here in 50 pound sacks of live crawdads and the vendors break open the sacks to sell them by the pound whereas the festival organizers buy 20 to 30 sacks at a time for the crawfish festivals.

Jay1500

Jun 3, 2016
Scotland
Hi buddy
Took a quick walk up there do you know if the pots are still there I could nt see them but might of missed them

Jay

Jul 16, 2016
Scotland
Hey Folks,

Great post, but anyone knows of any spot on the east coast of Scotland?

Currently living en the Capital so, anywhere in the Lothians or Forth would be great to teach the wee man some fishing techniques.

Cheers,

Hi folks,
Please, please, please be super careful with this one as the fines are super severe in scotland and the legislation is also different up here than south of the border in England. At work we get people talking about catching them near their campsites who are unaware of the difference in legislation. I think Toddy has covered this fantastically and provided a good link so i wont go into the potential environmental issues of catching them but just wanted to make people visiting Scotland aware that our legislation is different and very much more severe.
One good thing though is that the otters have been munching on them :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE