Amadou or other tinders

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Looking for some tinders that work with a traditional flint and steel. (Not a ferro rod)

Anything anyone?

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you get them dry then King Alfred's cakes work, so does fomes amadou, and even damp chagga works. I have managed it on fresh retted linen and hemp fibres, especially if you work them with a little of the broken seeds among your hands first. Again get it dry and warmed up in your pocket or somesuch.
A really, really dry reedmace head very slightly ruffled, not broken open into fluff, can catch too.
Charred and warm and dry, but not burned to nothing but grey/white, old embers sometimes take a spark and glow enough to be blown up to flame.
Did Rich59 not manage it with crushed and broken leaves? Maybe that was the spindle :confused: :eek: Not sure about it, tbh.

cheers,
Toddy

p.s. Sorry, you wanted to swap, I can find fomes, might still be scraps left of the last break out and boil up session, you'd need to finish them yourself though. I also have some seed heads from the Typhus minima (small reedmace)....somewhere :eek:
M

Last edited:

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Would still like some amadou if anyone has any?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sorry Pignut; I have neuralgia and am stuck indoors until the weather improves or the nerves settle down :sigh:
There is some amadou, but it's in a box in a shed, and I'll need to empty part of the shed to dig it out. It's in among the stuff I use to demo firelighting.
HWMBLT brought me in two fresh fomes earlier in the week, but they're sodden wet still.

If anyone has any to hand, it'd be a kindness to pass some along to Pignut.

cheers,
M

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Sorry Pignut; I have neuralgia and am stuck indoors until the weather improves or the nerves settle down :sigh:
There is some amadou, but it's in a box in a shed, and I'll need to empty part of the shed to dig it out. It's in among the stuff I use to demo firelighting.
HWMBLT brought me in two fresh fomes earlier in the week, but they're sodden wet still.

If anyone has any to hand, it'd be a kindness to pass some along to Pignut.

cheers,
M

Hi Toddy.

That was not a dig at you. (Figured you had other things on) I am in no rush. There is some round here but it is scarce so I like to leave it on the trees

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I didn't think it a dig, but I have felt that I've rather stalled on digging out some for you :eek:

There's masses around here, but it's sodden wet just now, and even brought into the house they take weeks to dry out.\

atb,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE