aluminium arrows and screw in inserts wanted

greatbear

Apr 8, 2013
rotherham
im on with a project to make a very packable archery kit. I do think I can make the bow but am needing aluminium arrows damaged ones and arrows that don't suit you or your bow as im planning to make some take down arrows. so im needing arrows to experiment with and inserts which are designed for screw in points ive some nice bits to swap cheers guys.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Hmmmmm. I dont wanna come over all negative, but this could be very dangerous. The integrity of the arrow is a key safety point in archery, so I would strongly advise against making take down arrows as the joint is very likely to fail at an inappropriate time, e.g on release.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
as above, also a screw-in insert is really going to mess with the balance and flex of an arrow, I actually have no idea how it will fly. :D Be interested to find out though! Please be safe in your tests, if it were me I'd be figuring out a remote release system for the first few.

greatbear

Apr 8, 2013
rotherham
cheers for your concerns guys but there is a company in usa called primal gear unlimited. who do make take down arrows and also dave Canterbury uses them which his company make. but granted daves are used with a slingbow just thought of a fairly low draw weight bow and do the arrows properly. but obviously arrows like these would never stand up to competition use just thought id have a go

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
The arrows wouldn't be able to take the weight very well...could do damage to your bow as the kinetic energy won't transfer well to the arrow

greatbear

Apr 8, 2013
rotherham
thanks for your comments am not new to archery. having won many a competition.
ten years ago lol
but if you do a you tube search you will find people making two and three piece take down arrows
just thought id have a go myself.
its only an experiment and we never know till we try so im just wanting to have a go.
The arrows wouldn't be able to take the weight very well...could do damage to your bow as the kinetic energy won't transfer well to the arrow

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Not sure what it'll do to the weight and balance of the arrow but I don't see why the joint should be a weak point.....if done properly it may even be stronger than the rest of the shaft.

As you say, have a go......but don't forget to come back and let us all know how you got on. Top tip below about remote release for the first few tests ;)

As a side point....and not to put you off making and playing....but what's the point of take down arrows? Not many bows break down to shorter than an average arrow do they? So what's the point?

Cheers,

Bam. :)

greatbear

Apr 8, 2013
rotherham
hi good point about most bows being a bit longer than arrows you can get some which break down quite a bit smaller. and also if they are not great for a normal bow they would and will be great for a slingbow. and again you are right if done well the joint may be stronger than the rest of the arrow.
regarding testing in all fairness I recon they may smash at the target end but doubt very much they will shatter on leaving the bow or even damage the bow. so all I need is some materials to work with and I will let you all know how they go and provide photos if I can.

Not sure what it'll do to the weight and balance of the arrow but I don't see why the joint should be a weak point.....if done properly it may even be stronger than the rest of the shaft.

As you say, have a go......but don't forget to come back and let us all know how you got on. Top tip below about remote release for the first few tests ;)

As a side point....and not to put you off making and playing....but what's the point of take down arrows? Not many bows break down to shorter than an average arrow do they? So what's the point?

Cheers,

Bam. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE