alternatives to meths

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
are there any cheaper fuels that can be used in a meths burner?

Me and the GF were in wilko's today I notice they are selling bbq lighter fluid at £1 for 1L but the meths is £3.49 for 500ml. I'll deffo give the lighter fluid a go and let you all know how it goes.

I seem to be getting through a lot of meths at the minute. Too many brews! :p

nitrambur

Settler
Jan 14, 2010
Nottingham
Just trying to find where I read it and can't see it now. Hopefully someone will be along in a minute to either back me up or say I've got it the wrong way round and you cant use meths in a paraffin burner. .... Anyone?

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
Well, I use this stuff in my trangia, as far as I can tell it's meths without the purple dye. "http://www.contemporaryelements.co.uk/epages/BT3541.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT3541/Products/0218" other places may sell cheaper, look for B95 bio-ethanol.

Disclaimer: I don't work for this company, only purchased from them in person.

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
Look on ebay for methanol used for making your own biodiesel. Just DON'T tell them you arn't making biodiesel or they have to charge tax etc. I get 25L for about £8~12 but you have to pick up. For me the nearest is only about ten miles away.
Alan

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Look on ebay for methanol used for making your own biodiesel. Just DON'T tell them you arn't making biodiesel or they have to charge tax etc. I get 25L for about £8~12 but you have to pick up. For me the nearest is only about ten miles away.
Alan

Its worth mentioning that methanol is pretty nasty stuff, don't breath the fumes in, obviously don't drink it and don't get it on the skin.

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
Its worth mentioning that methanol is pretty nasty stuff, don't breath the fumes in, obviously don't drink it and don't get it on the skin.

Yes quiet correct but so is any fuel to some degree or other.
Technically you can absorb any alcohol through the skin, but in reality unless you have very dry skin, its not really a problem (unless you start to wash you hands in it!).
I am not going to go on about 'been using it for years. You have to decide.
Lets just say there are a lot of people that work in labs (like I used to) that use methanol all day every day and no ill effects.
Petrol fumes are nasty to your respiritory system and can do a lot of damage.
Treat with respect and all is well.
As you should with all fuels/solvents
BTw look up just how much 'impurities' are allowed in meths. and what they can be!!
In the industry its know as a good way to get rid of crap!!
Alan

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
If you use the wrong fuel in a stove, then in addition to the potential danger, and the not burning properly, parts of the stove (for example the seals) can be damaged.

Three and a half quid for 500ml of meths is a ripoff. Petrol at the pumps is much cheaper, and that's exorbitant for a fuel for cooking. I'd shop elsewhere.

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
Just trying to find where I read it and can't see it now. Hopefully someone will be along in a minute to either back me up or say I've got it the wrong way round and you cant use meths in a paraffin burner. .... Anyone?
It depends:- some multi fuel stoves eg optimus III etc can use different fuels for meyhs you have to insert a restrictor into the jet. these sometimes come with the stove.

Lordyosch

Forager
Aug 19, 2007
Bradford, UK
Denatured alcohol is usually about the same as Meths. Ethanol (the 'good' alcohol) attracts tax like nobodies business so they 'denature it' by adding methanol which is toxic. (science bit: they form an azeotropic mixture which cannot be separated by distillation) so make it undrinkable (except for Harry Ramps).

I'd say Paraffin/Kerosene would be fine in an alcohol stove as it is NOT a pressure stove. Alcohol in a pressure stove is generally a no-no because the alcohol can wreck any rubber/plastic seals.

Jay

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No way would I burn paraffin in a meths stove - its just not designed for it - strikes me as very dangerous - not as bad as petrol which is near lethal but still pretty dumb.

If you want to burn paraffin - buy a paraffin stove - theres some nice brass ones around for £30 or so.

bernie66

Tenderfoot
Oct 7, 2007
wirral uk
www.downsizer.net
No way would I burn paraffin in a meths stove - its just not designed for it - strikes me as very dangerous - not as bad as petrol which is near lethal but still pretty dumb.

If you want to burn paraffin - buy a paraffin stove - theres some nice brass ones around for £30 or so.

I've got an old one from my dads shed, its impractically large and only used by me trying to get it to work. Think the rubber seals has perished so it wouldn't build up pressure. Might weigh it in :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Check out "monitor stoves" on e-bay

4470144611_54e7059a09_o.jpg

Plenty of modern, lightweight pressure stoves available too if that's your thing - MSR etc do loads. A Trangia burner is not the way to do it

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE