alternative to hexi blocks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i like using hexi blocks in my volcano stove due to the fact they are generally smoke free and do the job but i was wondering if anyone has tried these as they work out miles cheaper...

http://www.clasohlson.co.uk/Product/Product.aspx?id=156008407

do they light easy? and how smokey are they if anyone has tried them because at £2.99 for 72 with a burn time of 10 mins they could be the mutts nuts?

the other option was the wooden cat litter pellets with a touch of hand gel to get them started

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
ingredients from the advert:
Made of compressed pine particles and vegetable oil.
so...chipboard then?
Globetrotter has tried a fair few things like this.
I'd imagine they will give off some sticky"Tar" black smoke (due to the pine resin) but that's only a guess.

I'd try some against an equal amount of pine twigs I wonder if there would be any difference?

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i just got 2 packs and lit one in my wood burner at home i was surprised that there seemed to be no smoke and they burn for near 10 mins when i get chance i am going to try them in my volcano stove so far they look very promising and light easy too.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I'd imagine soot would be a problem with these, but I look forward to finding out how you get on with them. I have tried wood pellets soaked in various oils with not a lot of success.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
if i get chance ill vid them in my stove er as for soot my pot on the volcano stove is very black anyways so i wont notice it lol. I have been using hexamine lately as i found with wood and pine cones it was very smokey and tainted the water to a bbq flavour tea (lap song su shong), but hexamine is not cheap really for regular use...

Shingsowa

Forager
Sep 27, 2007
Ruthin, North Wales
They look very similar to some BBQ firelighting 'matches' that i have knocking around somewhere. Basically pine/softwood chips bonded and soaked in paraffin, with a big 'match head' on one end. You strike them like normal matches but they burn for 5 mins or so. Perfect for use with a honey stove or ghillie kettle...

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
yeah i have seen the matches cant get hold of them atm, but these blocks are just a block of pine they light well just need to film some burn tests now at, i reckon 2 blocks should suffice for a brew they are an inch square 72 to the pack for less than £3 so it looks promising...

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
only tried them with a lighter so far and they light easy dont think they will light with a spark rod though not without a bit of alco gel

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Zip Natural fire lighters are pretty good, I slice them up into 1/4" slabs and use them in my tinder kit for starting the KK etc.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE