Alternative therapy's, oils , herbs etc

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
Just a thought the other night as i was dozing off. I work shift patterns and realy have trouble getting to sleep sometimes. So, what i have found useful is a few drops of lavender oil on my pillow. It realy does help to send you off to sleep ( and keeps bugs away apparently ).
Are there any such tried and tested things you use as perhaps a substitute to more modern approach?
Not just oils but anything whether it be mirrors on your windowsill or herbs hung from the ceiling.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Hop pillows are traditional.

Of course, you could just infuse the hops in malt and water, add yeast...... :)

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
I saw the mirrors on the bruce lee film played by jason lee :lmao: , i think the chinese use them to ward off evil spirits as they see their reflection when entering a house and flee :D .
Realy i was just clutching at straws for an example of things people might use.
Iv'e tried alcahol for sleeping ;) but it's not good as you never get a restful nights sleep :D

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
I have to say the Lavender on the pillow worked for me. You could try Chamomile tea as well. I can vouch for Toddy's answer, as her knowledge of all things herbal and medicinal is second to none. :You_Rock_ If Toddy recommends it give it a go. Try to cut down on ordinary tea and coffee a good while before you turn in as it stay in your system longer than you think.

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
Toddy said:
Try valerian tea, or a mix of valerian, catnip, rose and melissa. That'll help too :)
Cheers,
Toddy
Thanks toddy
Just looked that up and found it MAY help with ADHD ( which both my boys have ). I'll pop into the holland and Barrat.
I do use Camomile tea sometimes although if i were to gauge the effects i would say they are much milder than Lavender oil.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Chamomile is nice, but personally I prefer it on the *outside* if I make myself clear?
It's safe, can be used for babies, so they say, so everyone recommends it for everything.
If you really can't sleep get a Valerian tincture, use 15 to 20 drops in a small cup of hot water and sip for about five minutes while reading something innocous. You won't think it's working but about 20 minutes after starting to drink you'll find yourself nodding off. It smells like peas to me, not unpleasant but not *tea* like. Doesn't make you need the loo in the middle of the night, and it doesn't give you a stuffy head the next day either :D
Match is the fellow to ask about using fresh Valerian root, he's been using that I believe.

Cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE