Alpkit Gamma or Manta

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Need to replace my torch

Which one would you all recommend between these two (Thanks). Which one of the two do you own and why?

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
I have 2 Gammas - brilliant wee headtorch - I prefer having the weight distributed front and back ( not that they weigh a lot ) and the rear battery pack comes with a built in rear red light which is very useful. You can choose between main beam max 88 lumen, low level and flashing, or low level power LEDs at white, green, red or red flash. Very comfortable and easy to wear for long periods - I've had one on most of today due to no power since 5am!

Reverend Graham

Life Member
Jul 2, 2012
Grimsby
Got to go with the Gamma for the same reasons as Brambles, I have 2 for Ultra running, tried lots of other and found these to be the best, go to any Ultra event and you'll see a lot of them in use.

Rev G

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
I have had the Gamma and tbh I prefer the Manta, it seems brighter and you can also focus the beam. The one thing I really like though is that it can comfortably be worn around the neck when not being used so it doesn't get lost, I actually slept with mine on last weekend :lmao:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Yup, Gamma. Never tried a Manta, but my work issue is a front loader. I don't like the balance with the batteries in the front.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I like the idea of focusing the beam on the Manta But from the advice the Gamma balance front and back of the head sound the best. Less strain on the head. So the Gamma looks like the option. Thanks so far All.

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
manta for me. theres no 'strain' in a few aaa's and it means when i lie back to read I dont have a lump digging into the back of my head :)

I dont really use the coloured led's much, but i do like the variable brightness and the focus ring.

Last edited:

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
The one thing I really like though is that it can comfortably be worn around the neck when not being used so it doesn't get lost,

I do this with my Gamma as well - just pull the top strap to one side. As I said earlier, the Gamma is by no means heavy but I've always preferred the extra stability of a front/rear distribution with a top strap, especially if you are doing very active things.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE