Alone

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Tried anonymox a few days ago..uninstalled because it was a pain. not saying it didn't work, every time i refreshed a page i got a pop up reminding me that i was using Anonymox. as i said...Pain in the proverbial.

I run epic as a privacy browser when i need it. The only difference is Epic is hit and miss on what country your ip appears to be in, unlike Anonymox which appears to use USA all the time. I guess i'll just need to load and reload Epic until i find the correct US IP addy or i might catch it on YT before it gets taken down.

Cheers anyway. S

Chris the Fish

Forager
Dec 5, 2009
Stoney Stanton, Leics
I use the hola add on for Firefox and it worked seamlessly when watching The Island USA, could do worse than giving it a go.

I take it the majority of people are watching online as opposed to watching on the history channel on sky?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Had to bite the bullet and re upload Anonymox....Caught the show, episode 6....enjoyed it. The big fella,Alan is quite the entertainer. I enjoyed his musings and ramblings. Good guy to have around the camp fire at night. day 22...wow. though they would all be gone by now. power to the last four for lasting this long.

Last edited:

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I wonder if Lucas has ever dealt with tidal water before? I learned to sail on the Bristol Channel with 12 metre tides and 10 knot currents in places and you learn that you go with the sea because you can't fight it. He'd probably have been able to paddle back when the tide turned and could have found it much easier if he stayed close inshore.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Alone S01E06 – Rain Of Terror
Started appearing on European based video hosting/sharing websites from about 4am this morning and none of these require a proxy server to access from the UK.
Though I would recommend you have a good advert blocker or better still disable JavaScript in your web browser settings before visiting one.

The series is designed to show people failing...puts me off to be honest.

That's why I dismissed the show at first, until I was encouraged to watch it. Sometimes it seems that ever show now is designed to show people people failing...

And there is also the bit about making a competition out of something I love. That's hard to take.

Nevertheless, I have found the show informative in seeing how ten people with skills and equipment developed in other places actually make out on the coast. I was expecting fire lighting issues but not from 5 out of 10, given that they had shelter, warm clothing and time to learn. And on and on..
The thing that is most surprising me at this point with the four remaining, is why they aren't working themselves crazy making shelters of split logs - shingled if necessary - since they've had a short sample of what heavy rains will be like. I thought that Alan's cook camp was a darned good idea, but shingled branches don't work too well in real rain and a cook camp can also serve as a good work and drying area with fire. Mitch seems to have good skills and attitude, but if my gear was growing mould, I think I'd be in a rush to make a proper covered shelter with a good fire to dry stuff out instead of using a clothes line in a damp forest.
I find the psychological aspect interesting because the common stories of surviving, "Hatchet", "Brian's Winter", "My side of the Mountain" were written by people who didn't get lonely. Paulsen was a trapper for many years, and Jean George a field biologist. Tommy Tomkins was a wildlife photographer when he gave up police work, so he'd spend long periods alone in the wild, then spend the rest of the year visiting schools and showing his movies. The kids would always ask about loneliness and he say that while he got lonely while travelling and staying in motels, he never had time to get lonely in the wild.

Anybody seeing a problem with the coho salmon?

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I must admit that I'm fairly surprised at the drop out rate v the timeframe. I don't want to come across judgemental as I'm not being. I appreciate that watching is different to being there but I am surprised.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The west coast environment of British Columbia can be and will be a really ugly place to live.
Dry is top priority, warm is #2. Food at low tide is everywhere so that has to be #3.
I have not ever done what they are supposed to be doing.
BUT after nearly 50 years on the coast and now in the ICH wet belt, I think
I have the priorities in a row.

Lok at some Haida history, The Tlingit and the Timshan. See how they lived in nearly luxury.

I thought I would post a bit of the information that was posted across the pond on BCUSA.

attachment.php

The participants were given a list of 40 items of which they were permitted to pick 10.

2qld1ck.jpg

as i cannot watch the show and have not found the complete list of gear they had/have available- were ferro rods the only choice of firemaking device given?! i have not been to vancouver island but to other areas of wet weather/high humidity and my ferro rod started to oxidize... (one reason why i finally threw it out of my kit and rely on more reliable ways of fire making!)

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Looking at that list now we know who is left, it is interesting to look at the comparisons of kit choice.

One thing that leaps out is none of the remaining gents chose paracord as an essential.

Also a bit puzzled to why any of them would have chosen a bow and arrow... the wire is more versatile.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
as i cannot watch the show
If you use firefox install Anonymox about:addons. It will give your PC a US IP address then just go to The History Channel web page and watch it. You will see your new US IP address in the top right hand corner of your screen...US flag and IP in Green.

Once you are done watching all six episodes, Copy and paste this..>>> about:addons <<<<<< into your address bar (Top left of screen) that will bring up your Firefox addons, just disable Anonymox until next weeks episode.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2015
BC, Canada
Ferro rods do oxidize readily here. Especially when exposed to salt water. However, I still use them and keep them in my kit. Being that I am not living out there for months at a time it's not hard to wipe mine off and keep them dry. Of course, a 13x150mm ferro rod isn't going to corrode away to nothing overnight.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE