Alluminium tent poles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Hi Guys,

Im after a bit of advice from you ground dwellers that enjoy sleeping in tents rather than those strange people that enjoy swinging in trees lol. (although Im happy for them to chip in if they no the answer :eek:)

I have been looking into getting a lightweight tent, and although the market is full of sub 2kg tents I really cant afford the price of them right now.

What I have noticed though is most, if not all top end light weight tents tend to use ally poles, I have a really nice 2 man dome tent (eurohike I believe) weighs in at about 2.8ish kg.
What Im thinking is to shave a bit of weight off and replece the fiberglass poles with ally and change the pegs to some shiny titanium ones.

The pegs go with out saying that it will shave off some weight, but is the pole replacement a possibility? and would the weight savings be worth it?

Im aware of the pro's and cons of both sets of poles, eg the fibre glass poles tned to flex under strain and the ally ones tend to just break under alot of strain, I also no that when fibre glass poles break, especially out in the field they can be a nightmare to repair, where as ally ones can be repauered fairly easily.

I have found a place where I can get enough ally poles to convert the 3 poles on my tent with the shock cord and end plugs for around £20.

Or if I could find an already sub 2kg tent that has fiberglass poles and shave a load of weight of it that would be great.

My main objective is to have a tent that is 1.5kg or lighter.

Anyone else tried or done this?
Cheers
Steve

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Have you weighed your poles Steve? It might not be worth the hassle if the tent fabric is the bulk of your weight, I'd look at the rest of your kit first.

A couple to look at ..

tentspares.co.uk

ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk

Lmao, did I really take that much at the weekend? lol
Its all Iv been doing since I got back mate!!!! Putting to 1 side what I really didnt need or use.
A wise man once told me that the best way to save weight is to look at the big 3, rucksack (currently bidding on a nice go-lite quest 70 litre on evilbay) sleeping bag(from now on I take just the 1 down bag which weighs 600grms) and the shelter, hence this thread.

I havnt actually weighed them yet tbh, but from what I have read on the net ally poles weigh a 3rd of fibreglass ones, and as my dome tent uses 3 of them I figure the saving could be quite significant.
My main worry is if they will actually bend like a fiberglass pole does to be used with a dome tent!!
Great weken by the way, gotta get myself some slow gin!!!
Hope your well
Steve

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Didn't know you could use ally poles on a dome tent !!! .....I would have thought that the flexibility of the fibreglass poles, both in threading them through the sleeves & resistance to bending & wind would be of the utmost importance......even if you could get ally poles of the equilivant thickness & curviture of the fibreglass ones, at the lengths required they risk bending with the slightest pressure...packing them in a rucky would be tricky too as you'd be sure to distort their required pre-curved form....prehaps I've got the wrong end of the stick though.....;)

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
You'll be looking for pre bent poles with a slight curve mate

Where did you end up on Sunday?

Lol in a lay by dwn near the sea!!!
We found carcking place near Loch Ken but the wind completely dropped and we were in midge HELL again!!!!
A bit like saturday night!!

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Didn't know you could use ally poles on a dome tent !!! .....I would have thought that the flexibility of the fibreglass poles, both in threading them through the sleeves & resistance to bending & wind would be of the utmost importance......even if you could get ally poles of the equilivant thickness & curviture of the fibreglass ones, at the lengths required they risk bending with the slightest pressure...packing them in a rucky would be tricky too as you'd be sure to distort their required pre-curved form....prehaps I've got the wrong end of the stick though.....;)

No, you have the right end of the stick, ally poles can be bought and assembled in exactly the same way and thickness of fiber glass poles.
I used a tent at the weekend that used ally poles that went in a curve, it just wasnt as big as dome tent, they are also alot tougher than you think, it would take alot of pressure to bend them, top doller tents all use ally poles, so if its good for them its good for me.

I would store them in the tent bag like any other poles, I cant see them bending tbh!!

BUt the is why I have started a thread on here to see if it can be done and has anyone tried it.
I cant be the first person to have thought of this I doubt.
Cheers for you rinput though
Steve

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
My vango banshee has been a great tent Steve. Think i got it for £60 in a Gooutdoors sale. weighs aboot 2KG.

I love those tents Paul, but can't seem to find any under £100 quid mate!! Are the poles ally or fibreglass?
They really do look like excellent tents and seem to get great reviews!!
Cheers
Steve

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Cheers for the heads up rich!!!
Seriously nice bits of kit there!!
The only thing is for that sort of price I could get the lux outdoor mini peak, that is what I really want but it's ruddy expensive, hence the reason I wanna pimp an existing tent in the short term!!
I put that coffin I used last weekend on the bay today, lovely tent but I thought u had dislocated my shoulder getting undressed in the sat night lol.
And not having somewhere to put the pack puts me off a bit too!!
Cheers for the input though, real food for thought there!!

Sep 19, 2015
dubai
After 10 yrs service one of my Aluminium tent poles sheared, does anybody know a company that repairs or makes poles to spec??
The original manufacturer doesn't seem to be much help.
Have seen a couple of repair kits to make a pole myself, but that sounds like hard work. Anyboy done this??
All comments or advice please!!
Visit here

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE