Alexanders ID?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Are these Alexander's?

085511a2eaac407533bd8b1247a9d907.jpg

babb6557e36979e804aefbd0a21dd10c.jpg

251f1e5b239d3b0e5ddaa65cb1764040.jpg

73aaa261f3daa5a3e0e7ee9c58c12a5f.jpg

e2a21ca34cfd69b81c5d77b245c70032.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
It certainly looks like it. Hairless solid stem, the flowers should be yellow when they open with five petals, there are no bracts. Thee trefoil leaves (three sets of three leaves per leaf stem).

Reactions: Snufkin

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Looks like it. Honestly, not my favourite forageable. At this time of year I stick to cleavers, nettles and chickweed. But give them a try, you might like them.

Reactions: TeeDee

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Not sure how you have tried them but the lower stems can be cooked like asparagus (steaming or short boil) - delicate flavour but pleasant with butter or hollandaise sauce :)

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Not sure how you have tried them but the lower stems can be cooked like asparagus (steaming or short boil) - delicate flavour but pleasant with butter or hollandaise sauce :)
The ones I tried were pretty bitter. I may have to give them another go.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There's another way to cook them makes them into a kind of crispy not-quite-like-a-doughnut thing.
Cut the stems as long as possible so to get the best of the base of the stem, cut those into 2" lengths and peel them like you would rhubarb. Boil for 7 or 8 minutes...just until you can slide a knife easily into them.
Drain and let cool. Dip into a batter made from either gluten free flour and some fine cornmeal or an ordinary white flour batter that you'd use for fish. If you want to use a beer batter that's fine and will work.
Deep fat fry the little battered pieces until golden brown. Lift out and drain, and shake with castor sugar while still warm.

Much the nicest way I know of eating Alexanders :)
Otherwise I just cook them as above and then put them in a dish with butter and loads of ground black pepper, and sea salt flakes.

Haven't tried them with hollandaise sauce, Broch. It sounds good, bit like baked leeks ?

M

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Thanks guys! This patch is on my daily walking route, on a not very well used bridleway. I'll cut a few this evening and cook some up. Results to follow!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Toddy

Mang

Settler
If I might post a vid link I've recently completed after nine months of shooting clips...I'm going to stick up for Alexanders but the trick is to place a sharp knife at ninety degrees to a cut stem and gently strip the outer skin off, this is where the strong taste is (like chewing celery leaves x 100). The reason this took so long is that I filmed the plant's different stages and during the film make a soup, try candying the stems and make a condiment out of the seeds.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
So I think I have found some very young Alexanders and am wondering what I can do with them? Something interesting and glamish!!

Can Alexanders get easily confused with anything deadly? I'm a little wary of Miss IDing it so what are the definite Key Ident points and what is close to it that's Toxic please?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
OK, the Umbellifers are one group of plants you don't mess with unless you are 100% certain; they contain two deadly poisonous species and a couple of harmful ones. When young with only basal leaves many look very similar (actually, they do when older as well but not quite as much). It is possible to mistake young Alexanders with something like Hemlock Water Dropwort (Oenanthe crocata) which you don't even want to touch to be honest.

I would leave it alone until the flower shows and you can do a 100% positive ID. Just my opinion, there may be more expert advice on here though.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
OK, the Umbellifers are one group of plants you don't mess with unless you are 100% certain; they contain two deadly poisonous species and a couple of harmful ones. When young with only basal leaves many look very similar (actually, they do when older as well but not quite as much). It is possible to mistake young Alexanders with something like Hemlock Water Dropwort (Oenanthe crocata) which you don't even want to touch to be honest.

I would leave it alone until the flower shows and you can do a 100% positive ID. Just my opinion, there may be more expert advice on here though.

This is what I thought. But you've explained it far better than my tired fingers can type. I remember it being close to something dodgy. Many thanks for the ID sheet Broc!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE