ajungilak help please!!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
This is the bag I have at the moment.I've had mine for about five years. I have no idea what the label rating is but it seems fine for me for three seasons. :biggthump But I sleep quite warm anyway. I slept in it at the ashdown moot in January inside a bivvybag on a thermarest and had no problems. but then again, it wasn't as cold as it will be this weekend :chill:

cheers,

Martin

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
They seem to have changed all the model names on the site (I can't find mine now) butLite does not denote a winter bag and if tonight is anything to go by it will be winter conditions this weekend.

I would advise that you need way more this weekend to be warm and safe. I was cold at ashdown so Shinobi must (as he says) sleep warm. I would take a liner or blanket or a thicker bag altogether.

Winter camping is a serious matter.

Bill

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
Good point Bill. I should have stated that I would not go out in my bag this weekend either. That's why I'm hopefully getting hold of a '58 issue down sleeping bag for occasions like this weekend.
Save the Ajungilak for the warmer months.

cheers,

Martin

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
So long as you have a good foam or therma rest mat, are well sheltered from that cold arctic wind, use the fleece liner and wear the two sets of thermals...and maybe a swanni or a woolly jumper you should survive the worst of this weekend Matey.... and either which way, wearing that lot you are unlikely to come to any serious harm.....treat it as a learning curve...you'll be right. :eek:): (As Bill says a blanket is always a good idea but they are heavy and bulky to carry if you're hiking with it).

I'm sleeping out at the end of next week....weds and thurs night so I'm hoping the cold will stay with us....so much better than damp and wet.... I'll be in a bivvi bag under a basha in a 95pattern bag but I'll just be wearing my pants.....like Martin, I sleep a little hot too! lol :chill:

Stay safe...have fun and if it's really that cold...you can always cuddle up with the rest of the party! :super:

bambodoggy said:
So long as you have a good foam or therma rest mat, are well sheltered from that cold arctic wind, use the fleece liner and wear the two sets of thermals...and maybe a swanni or a woolly jumper you should survive the worst of this weekend Matey.... and either which way, wearing that lot you are unlikely to come to any serious harm.....treat it as a learning curve...you'll be right. :eek:): (As Bill says a blanket is always a good idea but they are heavy and bulky to carry if you're hiking with it).

I'm sleeping out at the end of next week....weds and thurs night so I'm hoping the cold will stay with us....so much better than damp and wet.... I'll be in a bivvi bag under a basha in a 95pattern bag but I'll just be wearing my pants.....like Martin, I sleep a little hot too! lol :chill:

Stay safe...have fun and if it's really that cold...you can always cuddle up with the rest of the party! :super:
Thanks for this! I am using a hammock and basha at the weekend. If necessary I will construct a shelter, it is part of my survival course after all. Two weeks ago I used a cheap 2-3 season Vango and was fine. This bag sounds as though it will be at least as good.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Fenlander said:
Thanks for this! I am using a hammock and basha at the weekend. If necessary I will construct a shelter, it is part of my survival course after all. Two weeks ago I used a cheap 2-3 season Vango and was fine. This bag sounds as though it will be at least as good.

My UK bag is a cheap 2-3 season Vango; I assure you you will find the Ajungilak a lot better, my experiences with them have been very good :hump:

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
bambodoggy said:

If you are lucky :wink:

I didn't mean to be a party pooper. If you don't go out in the winter you never learn. The extra clothes idea is a good one just take loads of layers and you can adjust to suit. People might take the mickey but a hot water bottle will do wonders for getting into your sleeping bag.

Blankets and hot water bottles you guys are going to think I'm soft :shock:

Nothing beats waking up to snow and even better if you are camping.

Bill

tenbears10 said:
If you are lucky :wink:

I didn't mean to be a party pooper. If you don't go out in the winter you never learn. The extra clothes idea is a good one just take loads of layers and you can adjust to suit. People might take the mickey but a hot water bottle will do wonders for getting into your sleeping bag.

Blankets and hot water bottles you guys are going to think I'm soft :shock:

Nothing beats waking up to snow and even better if you are camping.

Bill
I use a couple of reusable hot gel packs.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I'm intrigued Fenlander....did you keep the fire going all night? Did you have a good reflector, did you use your hammock or sleep on the ground....did you insulate the floor with fur bowes etc?
I'm glad you made it through the night ok (if a bit chilly) but am just wondering if you did anything bushcrafti extra to try to sort the situation?

It's a bit odd for me as like I've said before I tend to sleep a little warm so never really get the chance to try the above solutions in anger....hence I'm interested to see if you did them or others and how they really worked when needed....

It was -4.5 in my backgarden last night..... I am off work Wed, Thurs and Fri and will be camping out at least one of those nights in my local woods....hopefully two....first night I'll be using 95pattern bag, bivvi and basha.....second night I'm debating going for a natural shelter with an all night fire and an army blanket instead of a sleeping bag....lol....lets see if I survive the night!

Anyone fancy joining me? ? ? ? :wink:

bambodoggy said:
I'm intrigued Fenlander....did you keep the fire going all night? Did you have a good reflector, did you use your hammock or sleep on the ground....did you insulate the floor with fur bowes etc?
I'm glad you made it through the night ok (if a bit chilly) but am just wondering if you did anything bushcrafti extra to try to sort the situation?

It's a bit odd for me as like I've said before I tend to sleep a little warm so never really get the chance to try the above solutions in anger....hence I'm interested to see if you did them or others and how they really worked when needed....

It was -4.5 in my backgarden last night..... I am off work Wed, Thurs and Fri and will be camping out at least one of those nights in my local woods....hopefully two....first night I'll be using 95pattern bag, bivvi and basha.....second night I'm debating going for a natural shelter with an all night fire and an army blanket instead of a sleeping bag....lol....lets see if I survive the night!

I wasn't near the fire, but we didn't keep it going anyway!
Yes I did use my hammock....I usually use a foam mat (didn't take one with me) between the TWO layers of my Nomad hammock, but this time I just used a fleece liner and spare clothes.
i cleared all the snow from under my hammock and tarp, but did not use fur bowes for added insulaton.
I was wearing merino wool thermals, woke up cold at 2am and added Norwiegen army cotton thermals.
I woke up at 6am shivering! I all honesty, I was over confident with my sleep system, and will learn from this experience!

The other guys slept in shelter constructed from fur bowes and were also very cold all night.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Fair enough Mate :p

I'm not sure that the bowes would have helped you if they were on the floor and you were swinging above in a hammock though... :?:

I think I'd have been wearing my down jacket in bed if I'd been that cold...

It just shows that you do really need a fire going and to be near it to stay warm..... Sure I can't tempt you out on Thursday night? ? ? :wink:

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
bambodoggy said:

I'm tempted :biggthump I'm working nights until Wednesday and have a friends birthday meal on Friday but I'm around Thursday if that fits in with your plans?

Cheers,

Martin

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE