Airsoft what is it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
A bit like spud guns or low powered paintball guns - they shoot tiny 6mm plastic balls. People play "war" with them.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Some use it as a hobby, similar to a lot of hobbyists going out and doing something they enjoy doing, others see it as something of a team building experience.

It can be a hobby of tactics and skills as well.

http://milsimairsoft.co.uk/

No doubt something that HM Forces will see as a very good training aid as they have done with CQB and FIBUA using paintballing equipment.

Others will often see it as a bunch of weirdo's playing in the woods...:lmao:

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
As above I do airsoft but am now selling up all my kit hers some pics of my stuff
ny3a6uvy.jpg
6ysezysy.jpg
u4ype5ys.jpg
suzamyza.jpg
2u4e6uja.jpg
e7ujutar.jpg
aba2eqa9.jpg

I have loads and loads of gear loads of camo clothing etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
loads of fun

think modern reenactment/LARP with guns

more recently use for mil/sim training - damn things hurt a lot more than paintball...

Repperz

Feb 3, 2014
Tonbridge area..
Essentially it's like paintball laser tag etc etc except you play using airsoft guns that fire small 6mm plastic BB's.

I do a bit and have a gun and it's a good laugh. The advantage over paintball is essentially you can shoot further (the guns are more accurate), the guns look and feel more real, and the ammo is far far cheaper and since paint doesn't go everywhere you can wear youre best camo and have some proper tactical gameplay. Or just a sod around. Depending what you feel like. :)

Its the same as any sport or hobby in terms of players though, some spend $$$$ on guns and equipment and show up every day and others like me usually just rent or have one gun and rock up once every so often. The sport attracts a bit of negative attention from people who think it's just for wannabe soldiers and would be killers but in reality its just people having a bit of fun in a sport they enjoy. It's like saying all bushcrafters are weird because we like spending our time in the woods.

I hope this answered a few questions. I love it and I recommend it as a sport but each to his own. Have a nice day man.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
I've got mixed feelings about airsoft. On the one hand, playing with realistic replicas sounds appealing in a land with ridiculously strict gun laws. On the other I feel strongly that guns are not toys and I would not be willing to point even an imitation gun at someone in fun.

I'd be quite happy blasting paper targets with a real AR15 were I allowed one, but I doubt I'd enjoy shooting a plastic M4 at another human. I'd be quite happy owning real firearms, and I'd even enjoy teaching my kids to use them. I am however very strict that they are not allowed to pay with toy guns. I believe it fosters bad attitudes. Still, different strokes and all that.....

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
I've got mixed feelings about airsoft. On the one hand, playing with realistic replicas sounds appealing in a land with ridiculously strict gun laws. On the other I feel strongly that guns are not toys and I would not be willing to point even an imitation gun at someone in fun.

I'd be quite happy blasting paper targets with a real AR15 were I allowed one, but I doubt I'd enjoy shooting a plastic M4 at another human. I'd be quite happy owning real firearms, and I'd even enjoy teaching my kids to use them. I am however very strict that they are not allowed to pay with toy guns. I believe it fosters bad attitudes. Still, different strokes and all that.....

You seem to be of the opinion that this hobby involves kids and toys and that the users are playing with them.

A lot of the people who are testing their skills are adults who take it very seriously indeed.;)

It can for many be more realistic than what the military do with blanks and thunder-flashes, after all the military don't actually shoot projectiles at each other.:eek:

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Small bet that a child denied a toy gun will make one from Lego or something else.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
You seem to be of the opinion that this hobby involves kids and toys and that the users are playing with them.

A lot of the people who are testing their skills are adults who take it very seriously indeed.;)

It can for many be more realistic than what the military do with blanks and thunder-flashes, after all the military don't actually shoot projectiles at each other.:eek:

If you look at what I wrote, I said no such thing.

Guns are in my view tools intended for a serious purpose. Their primary purpose is either target shooting, or killing things that need killing (be that animals who can feed you, or bad people who intend to do you harm). They are extremely dangerous tools, so training in disciplines such as never pointing the muzzle at something you're not willing to destroy needs to start early. Airsoft provides contrary conditioning to this crucial discipline, whether it is practiced by an adult or a child.

Studies have shown letting kids play with toy swords and guns is actually good for development. I'll try and dig out a link.
I'm aware children will often make guns out of anything to hand. Nonetheless, this is not something I encourage for the above reasons. My own preference would be to purchase something along the lines of a Ruger 10/22 or a Marlin Papoose and teach my kids how to use a real gun from an early age. Take the mystery out of it, and drill the rules of gun safety into them at the same time.

Unfortunately the mountain of paperwork required in the UK makes this impractical so I cannot follow my preferred parenting trajectory (put unintentional). My aim for a long time has been to emigrate to the USA or Canada - where it will be much less problematic to obtain real firearms. I do not want to have to unlearn bad habits should I find myself in that situation.

But as I said earlier, this is just my opinion. If airsoft gives you pleasure, have at it. You don't require my endorsement.

Last edited:

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Airsoft is a way for people to make money. From surplus uniforms to webbing and weapons(replica). Simunition is not blank firing exercise, yet it makes weapon control more realistic.

Repperz

Feb 3, 2014
Tonbridge area..
Granted I hate seeing poor gun safety when I go out shooting (.22LR and 7.62mm target rifles, mostly) and children do need to be taught strict gun safety but I don't reckon that it needs to be extended to airsoft and BB guns because they're obviously toys. I mean they look mean and everything but once you fire and hear the chatter of the electric motor and see plastic firing out the end you remember that they're just a bit of fun.

Personally, I wouldn't say airsoft affects gun safety because even if your airsoft gun looks and feel like your semi auto .22lr it's easy to remember that one is a toy and the other is potentially dangerous - and should be treated as such. I don't know whether airsoft could potentially foster bad attitudes in younger children but then again to play airsoft you normally have to be at least 14-ish years old (depending on your local site), and by that time kids are old enough to know how to be mature with firearms anyway.

But of course ultimately It's up to you how you want to raise your kids. :)

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
But those children of America, oh so familiar with guns, seem to have a large number of accidents with them.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/29/us/children-and-guns-the-hidden-toll.html?_r=0

Which is precisely why the rules of gun safety and proper securing of firearms are so important.

No child ever shot themselves with a gun that was locked away where they could not get it, and they'd be disinclined to try if they had been educated in what guns are actually for​ and their proper use.

As to the wider impact of Airsoft, put it this way - would you be happy for your teenage kids to get into a new sport called "Stabsoft"? They're not really running around perpetrating knife massacres after all ;)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE