Air pistol for Squirrels?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rowen

Jul 8, 2004
Derbyshire
The squirrel population has exploded due to a new estate being next to the woods, foxes kicked out so no predators.
They are destroying all the young oak, hazel and pretty much anything they can get their teeth into.
Would an air pistol be suitable for culling the greys, I have rifles but would prefer something more unobtrusive?
Any recommendations and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance, Russ

Attachments

• IMG_7678.jpeg
    IMG_7678.jpeg
    475.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7637.jpeg
    IMG_7637.jpeg
    465.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7530.jpeg
    IMG_7530.jpeg
    425.2 KB · Views: 9

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Personally wouldn’t. You’re not guaranteed a humane dispatch with a sub 6ft/lb, and you’re certainly not going to be getting the accurate shot placement with one unless you’re point blank.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
The top way for squirrels seems to be feeders and hides. I recall some articles from years ago on use of pistols, but they all had shoulder stocks fitted to improve accuracy. I would probably work on a slingshot and 10mm lead balls ahead of an unsupported air pistol! Squirrels are tough critters.

Reactions: rowen

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I’m not a shooter, but have been. Loads of people use the Crosmans and other pistols for vermin control. Ratters love them fitted with optional stock.

I’d say the power is fine, but the accuracy of a pistol is the problem.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Like most shooting, it'll depend on range. At a couple of yards it'll work, I wouldn't use one past that on a squirrel as they seem tougher than rats. Much past 10m and you'd have to get the range bang on to cope with the pellet drop.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
No. Unless you can guarantee a clean kill at the range you can get them at, definitely not. A pistol is OK to despatch them in a trap.

They are a growing menace. A couple of winters ago I shot near 40 in an area of less than an acre (.22 air rifle) and two years later they are back. Unless your neighbours manage them aggressively it's a continuous slog.

I intend to invest in a few of the traps that @bearbait mentioned a few days ago.

I'm hopeful that the contraceptive control will be available soon and at a sensible cost but we'd still have to cull the dominant males that stop others getting to the bait.

Crac

Apr 5, 2023
North
I can understand protecting your home from squirrel damage. But kindly and with respect answer for yourself: “why get involved”.

An air pistol simply isn’t the right tool here.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I can understand protecting your home from squirrel damage. But kindly and with respect answer for yourself: “why get involved”.

An air pistol simply isn’t the right tool here.

Well, if one takes on the responsibility of custodianship of a piece of woodland or similar, one accepts the responsibility of managing pests that seriously affect the long-term quality and biodiversity of the habitat. The grey squirrel population explosion is a serious threat to our woodlands - and I speak as someone who doesn't kill anything unless absolutely necessary (other than to eat).

You are right about the air pistol; I doubt the legality of using one to be honest. The law is quite explicit about controlling pests (but doesn't state what power of air weapon must be used!).

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
No! You need the sterile dominant males so that they fail to impregnate the females and fight off rivals.

That doesn't work! Other males, who have failed to get to the bait, will mate because the dominant male is too busy defending his lovely larder of Nutella. Only one male out of dozens would be infertile.

The process has been determined by trial. I attended an on-line seminar on it a short while back. The results of controlled trials so far are that a combination of contraceptive and culling will be required.

gibson 175

Apr 9, 2022
West Yorkshire
That doesn't work! Other males, who have failed to get to the bait, will mate because the dominant male is too busy defending his lovely larder of Nutella. Only one male out of dozens would be infertile.

The process has been determined by trial. I attended an on-line seminar on it a short while back. The results of controlled trials so far are that a combination of contraceptive and culling will be required.
Makes sense. It's about understanding their behaviour.

rowen

Jul 8, 2004
Derbyshire
Thanks all I got the answer I thought from Chris, I’m not up to speed on current air guns that’s why I asked the question.
Hopefully my next post here will be recipe related!
Russ

Reactions: Chris

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Hopefully my next post here will be recipe related!
Russ
I can well recommend this one:
Served at the pot-luck meal at the Moot one year under the heading "long tail tree chicken stew" using par-boiled and boned squirrel. Entire pot was emptied.

stonepark

Forager
Jun 28, 2013
Carse of Gowrie
For an air rifle, squirrels need quite a wallop, 177 at 6ftlbs will not penetrate at more than 5yds to give a good kill shot to the body.

I use a BSA Lightning 11.5ftlb, 25cal with H&N FTT pellets.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Oh, I have load of squirrel recipes including squirrel tagine and sqirrel satay :) - on the basis that I only kill what I eat I've had to come up with a variety. Though, to be honest, there is no way we can eat all that I shoot at the moment.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Oh, I have load of squirrel recipes including squirrel tagine and sqirrel satay :) - on the basis that I only kill what I eat I've had to come up with a variety. Though, to be honest, there is no way we can eat all that I shoot at the moment.

Give them to a local pub to create some recipes - start a revolution.

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Give them to a local pub to create some recipes - start a revolution.

Does seem rather mad that we have people who can’t afford to buy food, yet rabbit and squirrel often just gets dumped as waste.

Must be a market for a resurgence of this sort of food.

Reactions: TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE