Ahem, the survival stick.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
How much aliexpress crap can you tie to a walking stick? :D

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The local wood shop uses diamond willow for hiking sticks. It has a measured breaking strength more than 5X fresh bone.
My D1 and SIL came to visit. Took them to the wood shop for custom sticks. The picked out what they wanted from a batch of 50+.
Everything from length, thumb notch and thong to finish and tip spike. Custom work.

The shop guys have just finished the head board and foot board, squares within squares, for a king size bed in DW.
I wouldn't blink at the price, if I had the room!

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
The local wood shop uses diamond willow for hiking sticks. It has a measured breaking strength more than 5X fresh bone.
My D1 and SIL came to visit. Took them to the wood shop for custom sticks. The picked out what they wanted from a batch of 50+.
Everything from length, thumb notch and thong to finish and tip spike. Custom work.

The shop guys have just finished the head board and foot board, squares within squares, for a king size bed in DW.
I wouldn't blink at the price, if I had the room!

Willow is really strong, I can vouch for that, I have made various walking sticks and staves out of willow, using antler handles. I can also vouch for the utility of having a handle that doubles as a pick.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I would need a porter to carry that for me!
I find that all I need to attract a rescuer in an emergency is one of those miniature packs of playing cards you get in the better kind of Christmas Crackers. It weighs a lot less and is easier to carry....
All you have to do is start playing a game of "Patience" (Solitaire to our Colonial friends) and pretty soon someone will lean over your shoulder to say "Black nine on Red ten...)

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Should've included a bandanna/shemagh, would certainly make it more practical. ;)

stock-photo-rural-knapsack-on-a-bamboo-pole-on-a-old-wooden-background-375392629.jpg

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
I would need a porter to carry that for me!
I find that all I need to attract a rescuer in an emergency is one of those miniature packs of playing cards you get in the better kind of Christmas Crackers. It weighs a lot less and is easier to carry....
All you have to do is start playing a game of "Patience" (Solitaire to our Colonial friends) and pretty soon someone will lean over your shoulder to say "Black nine on Red ten...)

😂😂😂 That is so true!!!
That stick though; what an abomination. I'm sorry, but I'm not normally one to put down other people's work that they've invested time and emotion into but that is absolute ****!
I'm all for trekking poles (I remember laughing at them, until I tried a pair, they are so good for the joints!) but that is wrong on so many levels...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE