Agave and Palm Trees!

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have an Agave tree in my garden,

I was just wondering if anyone has ever used this tree for anything interesting or if anyone has any ideas of how I could use it.

I also have a couple of palm trees, Any ideas guys?:)

Attachments

• Agave Tree.JPG
    Agave Tree.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Palm Trees.JPG
    Palm Trees.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 13

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Greg said:
I have an Agave tree in my garden,

I was just wondering if anyone has ever used this tree for anything interesting or if anyone has any ideas of how I could use it.

I also have a couple of palm trees, Any ideas guys?:)

I believe it can be used for cordage. Try pounding, scraping, rinsing and then drying the leaf. But I have not done it myself

Don't ask me about palms else the reply will run over the word limit :D

I'm sure you will get lots of good suggestions

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
BOD said:
I believe it can be used for cordage. Try pounding, scraping, rinsing and then drying the leaf. But I have not done it myself

Don't ask me about palms else the reply will run over the word limit :D

I'm sure you will get lots of good suggestions

Thanks BOD, I was also wondering if the very hard and sharp pointy bits would be strong enough for needle work of sorts!:D

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
I made some agave cordage in Spain last october from a leaf at least 5 ft long. Pics are at home. It was naturally retted by being left at the side of the path and breaking out the fibres was not difficult.

Incredibly strong but you need to work it damp otherwise it cuts delicate hands to bits.

I keep wanting to offer to clean up the dead leaves from the Phormium and agave plants in peoples gardens...I suspect they might find it a bit odd though...

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I think the indians used the point with the fibres still on for sewing. Ray used them in one of his programmes, at least I think it was Agave, I could be wrong though!

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
im sure i saw on one of rays programmes that the midrib from palm leaves is a strons sort of string/wire
leon

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Thanks for correcting me guys:You_Rock_ , after looking up Yucca tree on wikipedia I can say without a doubt that I don't have an Agave its definately a Yucca tree!
So can I still use it for useful stuff?:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE