Afghan pressure cooker lead poisoning

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Just saw an article in the Telegraph describing how Afghans are being poisoned through lead leaching from their pressure cookers, made of low grade, contaminated, recycled metal.

Research showing the same can be found elsewhere, and was reported on years ago, but this was the first I had heard and searching here didn’t show it as something discussed.

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster
Interesting, ever since I watched Simon in the Woods’ video where he made a meal using one- the first time I’d seen it, I wanted one, it just looked really cool and steam punkish! I’ve just resisted because I have a perfectly servicable one, that is actually meant to be for curries, it has the same shape as Indian cooking pots- a wide belly and narrow top to prevent steam loss, plus it has two pressure settings, the lower one perfect for dhals (which can burn easily). Although it is aluminium, it’s made by Prestige, so hopefully safe! After hearing about the lead, I’ll cross it off the list, although I can imagine there may well be a few appearing on eBay pretty soon!:D

Falstaff

Forager
Feb 12, 2023
Berkshire
I've avoided ally pans etc for years, based in the advice of my parents,( right or wrong,) about dementia and leaching into foods.
However, I didn't know there was any lead in aluminium, quick search finds it's added to aid workability. In the western world non-lead alternatives are now used.

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster
I've avoided ally pans etc for years, based in the advice of my parents,( right or wrong,) about dementia and leaching into foods.
However, I didn't know there was any lead in aluminium, quick search finds it's added to aid workability. In the western world non-lead alternatives are now used.
Supposedly the aluminium/ dementia thing has been debunked, I would be more worried about non-stick finishes, having seen a documentary about it and how they lied to their female staff, who were having offspring with birth defects.

Reactions: CLEM

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have had people tell me I should not drink cider out of Pewter tankards. Well even if it were old style pewter, the cider is not going to be in the tankard long enough to dissolve enough lead to do any real harm.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
In this case the the high lead content is likely exacerbated by melting things like Babbit bearings, batteries and soldered components in with the aluminium.

Reactions: Falstaff

Falstaff

Forager
Feb 12, 2023
Berkshire
Supposedly the aluminium/ dementia thing has been debunked, I would be more worried about non-stick finishes, having seen a documentary about it and how they lied to their female staff, who were having offspring with birth defects.
Absolutely - they all slowly wear off and the bits usually end up in the food without being noticed. All the current finishes use the forever plastic materials, nasty stuff. Too late for me, my parents used non-stick for years.
I mainly use a cast iron frypan with an oil/salt finish. However, it also used to be non-stick but most of it came off, I must have eaten some of it before I noticed. Then I removed as much as I could of the rest.
I know the aluminium thing has been officially debunked, but I'm not convinced by the research, there are too many "confounding factors" as the pharma research call it.

Reactions: CLEM

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster
Absolutely - they all slowly wear off and the bits usually end up in the food without being noticed. All the current finishes use the forever plastic materials, nasty stuff. Too late for me, my parents used non-stick for years.
I mainly use a cast iron frypan with an oil/salt finish. However, it also used to be non-stick but most of it came off, I must have eaten some of it before I noticed. Then I removed as much as I could of the rest.
I know the aluminium thing has been officially debunked, but I'm not convinced by the research, there are too many "confounding factors" as the pharma research call it.
Same here with non-stick, although I tend to avoid it on principle anyway. My grandma bought one of the first Tefal saucepans when they first came out, she also used a metal spoon in it and by the time she passed way, maybe 10 or 15 years later, it was bare metal apart from the room! In the documentary, some researchers found that over 90%, maybe 96% of people worldwide had the tefal chemical PPFE (whatever it’s called) in their blood, basically it’s so ubiquitous, even used on clothing to make it stay cleaner. You just can’t escape it.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
In the seventies I put a couple of eggs in a non stick pan for a picnic…….. and forgot about them.
We came back and found two exploded very hard boiled eggs, a wrecked non stick pan and the canary was dead.

I have no problem at all with aluminium, my bigger Kelly Kettle is made of it. I also have no issue with chipped enamel, something that my mother was scared of to the point of superstition.

I didn’t know about the manufacture of some aluminium. I’ll need to research that but remain unfazed.

Nowadays:
Stainless steel (nearly) every time. I even made bread in a zebra pot recently.

robur

May 15, 2016
UK/Middle East
I fancied one of those ubiquitous Afghan pressure cookers some time ago.

After looking into it it seems they use recycled engine blocks which do contain high levels of lead so I avoided getting one.

There is plenty out there on the net about the problem, even to the point where a food safety quango looked into it and confirmed the problem

Ade

• Wow
Reactions: Herman30

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Not knowing but I strongly suspect that the problem is with cast items where you can throw almost anything into the crucible.

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster
In the seventies I put a couple of eggs in a non stick pan for a picnic…….. and forgot about them.
We came back and found two exploded very hard boiled eggs, a wrecked non stick pan and the canary was dead.

I have no problem at all with aluminium, my bigger Kelly Kettle is made of it. I also have no issue with chipped enamel, something that my mother was scared of to the point of superstition.

I didn’t know about the manufacture of some aluminium. I’ll need to research that but remain unfazed.

Nowadays:
Stainless steel (nearly) every time. I even made bread in a zebra pot recently.
Plumbers get “plumber’s flu” off they breathe in the PPF whatever it is thread tape when soldering. Because a birds respiration and circulation is far, far faster than ours, the fumes kill them. The lady worker at the factory (who had a baby with severe defects) described a multitude of thumps on the roof after the Gortex factory vented off gas from the vats of PTFwhatever it is. It was a flock of birds flying overhead, dropping dead out of the sky! That’s why your budgerigar died.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Plumbers get “plumber’s flu” off they breathe in the PPF whatever
It is various fluorine compounds that are the problem in that case. One just does not heat up PTFE coatings too much (without having problems). Some of the ceramic coatings are not a problem in cook ware.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE