Advice sought for Coleman 285-700t Lantern Problems for a newbie

Aug 28, 2013
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm a bit of a newbie at this but would like to ask for some advice please. I just tried to fire up my coleman lantern for the first time this year and it just ain't right. When I pump the pressure in some petrol gets spat out of the hole in the rod if my thumb slips off (my pumping action hasn't changed over the years) and the pressure is released unless the pump is screwed shut. I have looked at the pump washer and lubed it and the shaft and it seems ok. Should I just change the washer as a matter of course? or is there anything else I should look at. Look forward to hearing your thoughts

Cheers

Beefy:confused:

jim.b

Maker Plus
Jul 3, 2013
hull
Sounds like its bleeding pressure through the pump to me going by what your saying, id advise buying a service kit for it they're easy enough to find on the net and cheap enough too. I just bought Coleman northstar for the price of a service kit for my old Tilley.

Aug 28, 2013
United Kingdom
Hi
Thanks for the info. I'll get a service kit and give it a go. The poor thing hasn't been used much and neglected but always seemed to rise to the occasion so it deserves a bit of TLC.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Sounds like the check valve/non return valve is stuck. Empty the tank and spray a lot of WD40 in the pump (remove pump rod first), let it soak overnight then reassemble and pump the tank empty to see if it holds pressure. Using petrol is bad, all the gunk in it buggers the lanterns and stoves up, use Aspen or Panel Wipe.

Won't hurt to replace the pump leather or 'O' ring and tank washer every year or two.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE