Advice please...almost got had drill sorted!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi, almost have hand drill sorted.

Had a couple of successes a few years back, haven't tried this in 4 years, it's all coming back to me!

I'm using Elder drill, and clematis board.
(Found some really straight bits!)

(I've tried thumb loops sort of help but can get in the way)

I'm getting Brown then Black dust and smoke, within a minute or two... getting a pile of blackish dust around 1CM square, looking like an ember is imminent...:D
...just running out of steam at the last moment.:confused:

I'm warming it first, doing everything I should.
any handy tips.
I want to get this nailed in the next week or so I'm ready for the summer?

Warm (drill slowly) more?
More effort sooner?
More pressure sooner/later?

cheers

Last edited:

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Hello RAPPLEBY2000.
I love the hand drill for its rewards! I have stuck a 4'' piece of elder to a straight bit of hazel. You can then be confident with the whole stick. The stick I like is about 2' in length.
I can't guarantee success and make all the usual declarations with 'elf and safety in mind etc....It seems to me that you are not putting enough pressure on early enough....It is surprisingly hard and that is why one occasionally sees two folks working together on this...Work at the rotation and keeping the rythm of starting at the top of your stick again and again....It's that repetition and pressure that gets the black smouldering ember.
Mine is particularly difficult now as I broke my middle finger and let it set by itself as I didn't know it was broke. In consequence I now have a crooked finger which catches from time to time...Ha! Fun though.
Hope this helps. Swyn.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
ooooh! wouldn't fancy doing it with a broke finger!

Yup, I guess you're right, it's an effort thing, damn...lol
I'm getting over a tummy injury so eventually I'll get it!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE